wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes [cricket] WC 2007  favorities Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "[cricket] WC 2007  favorities" Watch "[cricket] WC 2007  favorities" New topic
Author

[cricket] WC 2007 favorities

R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 15, 2001
Posts: 5371
Originally posted by David O'Meara:
Expect Australia to brutal against Scotland.


There was opnion poll in one of the news channel today here.

Question was, would Australia score more than 500 against Scotland if they got chance to bat first ?


"Thanks to Indian media who has over the period of time swiped out intellectual taste from mass Indian population." - Chetan Parekh
Ashok Mash
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 13, 2000
Posts: 1936
Well, they are batting first, and they are doing just okay considering the who they are playing - 238/3 in 40 overs. With seven wickets intact, I would expect them to bring the run-rate really high in last 10 overs, but I doubt if they would make 350!


[ flickr ]
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Oz and Kenya win.

Today's matches

4th Match, Group B - Bermuda v Sri Lanka
5th Match, Group D - Ireland v Zimbabwe


Groovy
Srikanth Raghavan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 31, 2005
Posts: 389
Originally posted by David O'Meara:
Don't tease.
Expect Australia to brutal against Scotland. If not they won't win the competition.


Okay! I think they heard you. Good job. But I think this is India's World Cup, let's see. May be best win (It's India, hee hee ).

-- Srikanth
ambar patil
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Posts: 226
I think 4 teams for semi final:
NewZealand
Australia
England
India

dobut over England v/s westindies...

final : India v/s NewZealand
Or australia v/s NewZealand



..
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by ambar patil:
I think 4 teams for semi final:
NewZealand
Australia
England
India

dobut over England v/s westindies...

final : India v/s NewZealand
Or australia v/s NewZealand



..


Ambar, Talk about today's match as well.
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

Originally posted by ambar patil:
dobut over England v/s westindies...


England
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Today's match

6th Match, Group A - Netherlands v South Africa
7th Match, Group C - England v New Zealand

Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 3636
Originally posted by Pradip Bhat:
I am seeing that not many are interested in this year's WC.


or may be, not many are free as you
[ March 16, 2007: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]

My blood is tested +ve for Java.
Mani Ram
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Posts: 1140
Originally posted by Pradip Bhat:
I am seeing that not many are interested in this year's WC.


I'm interested. I'm watching ENG vs NZL match as I'm typing this. But I'm just not posting in this thread. Just compare the postings in this thread with the thread on the 2003 world cup, and you will know why. Out of the 89 posts in this thread, only 14.5 posts have something interesting to say (I'm being generous here and yes, that includes 2 posts by Fred!). All other posts are either blanket statements blaming a team, politicians and cricketers or some personal chats that spoils the conversation itself. It is okay to be meaningless, but does that mean that the posts should be silly and (sorry to say this) stupid?

The thread on the previous world cup is a delight to read even today. This thread will overtake the other thread in terms of quantity (number of posts), but not in quality. I'm just wondering when Dave/DOM is going to give up and stops posting in this thread!


Mani
Quaerendo Invenietis
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

not yet apparently
Sameer Jamal
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 16, 2001
Posts: 1870
India 191 all-out against Bangladesh
Mani Ram
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Posts: 1140
Originally posted by Sameer Jamal:
India 191 all-out against Bangladesh


Yep. Let's give them the credit. They bowled really well, never gave the batsmen any width and kept a very good line and length. Their Fielding was good as well. Indians on the other hand, couldn't even rotate the strike and kept defending ball after ball after ball! Dravid misjudged the pitch completely and made a horrible mistake by electing to bat first.

By the way, did you notice what Ireland did today?
Rashmi Tambe
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 07, 2001
Posts: 418
Originally posted by Mani Ram:


Yep. Let's give them the credit. They bowled really well, never gave the batsmen any width and kept a very good line and length. Their Fielding was good as well. Indians on the other hand, couldn't even rotate the strike and kept defending ball after ball after ball! Dravid misjudged the pitch completely and made a horrible mistake by electing to bat first.

By the way, did you notice what Ireland did today?


B'desh beat India! (
Mani Ram
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Posts: 1140
I predicted one upset and what an underestimate it is! Today, Bangladesh defeated India and Ireland defeated Pakistan. Who would have expected that? Very well done! Congrats to all the Bangladeshis and Irish. To me, this is one of the best days in cricket history! Great games and the teams that played better cricket won.

Today being St. Patrik's day, watching Ireland winning while I was having half-a-dozen cans of Guinness beers and half-a-liter of Jameson whiskey, was a perfect treat. And Bangladesh winning was a bonus
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

Ouch, gotta feel for Pakistan!
In the defense of India, Bangladesh have now taken India, New Zealand and Australia, all of which were in fine form at the time of their losses.
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 30, 2002
Posts: 1400
See this thread to see what Irish victory has done to Pakistan team fans.
link : http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=37864

Although team India still have some oxygen left, it's yet to be seen whether they would eventually choke out or could manage Super 8s.
An early Indo/ Pak departure can surely hit WC organisers financially.

Overall, whats your take on this world cup event organisation so far?

Things I didn't like so far --
- All empty stands so far in most of the matches. Not good! We get more fans in domestic Ranji games.
- Quality of pitches not that great, I find high scoring encounters more entertaining
- Quality of camera work not that great.
- Listening to Ian Bishop/ Amir Shoail ***** big time during commentary.

Things I liked so far --
- Emergance of Bangladesh. Rise of B'desh can only making cricket more exicting. After India, I have decided to root for them :-)


- Varun
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 30, 2002
Posts: 1400
Originally posted by Mani Ram:

Dravid misjudged the pitch completely and made a horrible mistake by electing to bat first.


How can you blame the pitch when one of our opener almost batted till the end? Accept it or not, we were just not prepared for B'desh. I would buy the pitch theory if we were against the Oz, but heck it was B'desh . Poor play India, WELL DONE B'DESH. Big welcome to the serious cricketting fraternity.

[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: Varun Khanna ]
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 30, 2002
Posts: 1400
Originally posted by Mani Ram:


I'm interested. I'm watching ENG vs NZL match as I'm typing this. But I'm just not posting in this thread. Just compare the postings in this thread with the thread on the 2003 world cup, and you will know why. Out of the 89 posts in this thread, only 14.5 posts have something interesting to say (I'm being generous here and yes, that includes 2 posts by Fred!). All other posts are either blanket statements blaming a team, politicians and cricketers or some personal chats that spoils the conversation itself. It is okay to be meaningless, but does that mean that the posts should be silly and (sorry to say this) stupid?

The thread on the previous world cup is a delight to read even today. This thread will overtake the other thread in terms of quantity (number of posts), but not in quality. I'm just wondering when Dave/DOM is going to give up and stops posting in this thread!


++
Mani Ram
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Posts: 1140
Originally posted by Varun Khanna:


How can you blame the pitch when one of our opener almost batted till the end?

I'm not blaming the pitch. I'm blaming the decision to bat first. I think the Indian think tank got carried away seeing the way other teams played against the minnows - bat first, post a huge score, create or rewrite as much as records as possible and bowl the opponents cheap. But, unfortunately for India, B'desh bowlers bowled extremely well, unlike Bermuda, Netherlands or Scotland.

Originally posted by Varun Khanna:

Accept it or not, we were just not prepared for B'desh.


Can't agree more. I guess India never had any game plan. Probably their aim was to go to the middle and swat every ball. But after seeing the bowling, they should have come up with a Plan B - set a target which they can defend, even if it is something in the range of 225-250. But looks like the ego of the players didn't allow them to change their mindset. Yesterday, lot of shots Indians played were double minded - not being sure whether they should attack or defend.
[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: Mani Ram ]
Sayak Banerjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 292
Originally posted by Mani Ram:

I'm interested. I'm watching ENG vs NZL match as I'm typing this. But I'm just not posting in this thread. Just compare the postings in this thread with the thread on the 2003 world cup, and you will know why. Out of the 89 posts in this thread, only 14.5 posts have something interesting to say (I'm being generous here and yes, that includes 2 posts by Fred!). All other posts are either blanket statements blaming a team, politicians and cricketers or some personal chats that spoils the conversation itself. It is okay to be meaningless, but does that mean that the posts should be silly and (sorry to say this) stupid?

The thread on the previous world cup is a delight to read even today. This thread will overtake the other thread in terms of quantity (number of posts), but not in quality. I'm just wondering when Dave/DOM is going to give up and stops posting in this thread!


Would you still be saying the same thing if somebosy post a comment condemning what is happening in Zimbabwe....It seems that ZANU PF and Mugabe are determined to destroy the country let alone cricket....I feel sorry for the veteran Zimbabwean cricketers like Andy Flower, Henry Olonga and others....what a pain would it be for them to watch their national team suffering at the hands of a tyrant dictator.....It amazes me that no country in the world tried doing something about it.
[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: Sayak Banerjee ]

Turn on, tune in, drop out.
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 30, 2002
Posts: 1400
BREAKING NEWS : Bob Woolmer found unconscious in his room. Rushed to hospital.

Source: http://home.skysports.com/cwc/article.aspx?hlid=455203&CPID=491&clid=1214&lid=4161&title=Woolmer+taken+to+hospital
[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: Varun Khanna ]
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 30, 2002
Posts: 1400
Update: Bob Woolmer died. Sad news. Very very sad news for cricketting world.
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 30, 2002
Posts: 1400
I am really speechless. He was indeed a fine bloke. Rest in peace Bob.
Sayak Banerjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 292
Yes it is very sad indeed....I was a big fan of his, especially during his stint with South Africa.....The revolutionary methods of coaching and the results achieved through them were just commendable....He was not just a coach--he was an icon....Had it not been for him, the role of a coach wouldn't have been so important and significant as we have it today....And, for the record, he was born in India, played test cricket for England and became famous while coaching the South African team....May his soul rest in peace.
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 3636
My condolences for Bob Woolmer. May his soul rest in peace.
Sayak Banerjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 292
Today's match : India vs Bermuda (IT DOESN'T GET BIGGER THAN THIS)
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 3636
Originally posted by Sayak Banerjee:
Today's match : India vs Bermuda (IT DOESN'T GET BIGGER THAN THIS)


True!
Srinivasa Raghavan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 1228
India 1 down !! in second over


Thanks & regards, Srini
MCP, SCJP-1.4, NCFM (Financial Markets), Oracle 9i - SQL ( 1Z0-007 ), ITIL Certified
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Inzy to retire from ODI cricket.

I recd this SMS

Buy 1 litre Pepsi and get a chance to welcome Indian team which is returning to in Mumabi on 24th after match against Sri Lanka.

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by Pradip Bhat:


Did you mean same group. Yes India's first match is against Bangladesh. Will there be a upset ?


Yes there was an upset.
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by Richard Green:
The trend for a WC final seems to be

Australia vs Asian Country


1996: Aus vs SL
2000: Aus vs Pak
2003: Aus vs Ind

Going by the above trend, its gonna be Aus vs Bangladesh.


It can happen.
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

Keep this thread positive, I'm not so fond of cricket discussions that I won't recommend banning them.
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Today's matches

14th Match, Group A - Scotland v South Africa
15th Match, Group C - Kenya v New Zealand

Enjoy Cricket.
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:
My condolences for Bob Woolmer. May his soul rest in peace.



Very sad news. May be his health was affected because of the loss against Ireland.
ambar patil
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Posts: 226
Originally posted by Pradip Bhat:
Today's matches
14th Match, Group A - Scotland v South Africa
QB]

expecting some good score 350+ from South africa
Originally posted by Pradip Bhat:
[QB]Today's matches
15th Match, Group C - Kenya v New Zealand

expecting some surprises from kenya..
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

Not expecting a surprise from Kenya
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by David O'Meara:
Not expecting a surprise from Kenya


Nz 9 for loss of 1 wicket.
Mani Ram
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Posts: 1140
Originally posted by Varun Khanna:

Overall, whats your take on this world cup event organisation so far?

Things I didn't like so far --
- All empty stands so far in most of the matches. Not good! We get more fans in domestic Ranji games.
- Quality of pitches not that great, I find high scoring encounters more entertaining
- Quality of camera work not that great.
- Listening to Ian Bishop/ Amir Shoail ***** big time during commentary.


Agree with your view point on the empty stands, coverage & the commentary. I'm currently watching Kenya vs New Zealand match, and there are more people in the field than on the stands!

When I agree that the quality of the pitches are not great, I think they too offer matches that are entertaining in a different way!
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: [cricket] WC 2007 favorities