wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Things our kids won't understand Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Things our kids won Watch "Things our kids won New topic
Author

Things our kids won't understand

marc weber
Sheriff

Originally posted by Pat Farrell:
... I remember working in the FM radio station in college, long ago, and learning that a "pro" turntable is not what you want in your house for listening. They are built to take abuse, back cues, etc...

Yeah, the Technics 1200 is a pro turntable favored by "scratch" DJs. Along with the right cartridge (for example, the Shure M44-7), it's definitely built for abuse. With a different cartridge, they make excellent audiophile turntables, although probably not the best choice for the money. (How often does a home listener need the platter to get up to speed in half a revolution? Or to stop on a dime?)
[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: marc weber ]

"We're kind of on the level of crossword puzzle writers... And no one ever goes to them and gives them an award." ~Joe Strummer
sscce.org
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Originally posted by marc weber:
(How often does a home listener need the platter to get up to speed in half a revolution?

My 1972 vintage Rabco would take five, maybe ten, revolutions to get up to speed. The 'on switch' had a helper that started the table rotating, or it might have taken a half hour.

In the olden days, a studio turntable would get up to speed in an inch.

Of course, 'kids' won't have any idea that radio stations had turntables. They've been all cart based for decades, and probably all hard disk based for this whole century.

They might have no idea what a radio station is.
Nicholas Jordan
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by marc weber:
(...)How often does a home listener need the platter to get up to speed in half a revolution? Or to stop on a dime?)

Well I would rather pick on Pat but I'll take your dime. I'll say that they need to do it a lot more often than they do. The contemporary equipment stresses me, I am used to mechanincal push-rods rather than fly-by-wire. It may be that a mechanical servo-actuator is viewed as historical, but I'd rather not see one of the contemporary's change the ribbon on a 1403 while wearing Tom James #19, and do it smiling and under time constraints.

We used to have a go-cart. We got tired of the regulator the welding shop had installed and rigged a bypass using string. It hung due to poor workmanship, in front of the National Guard Armory. The brakes were not disc or anything, friction pads on the tires. As the runaway vehicle gained speed, a cadillac approached in the Northbound traffic lane with me Southbound. I steered into the curb but it only jumped two or three feet and broke the steering mechanisim. The runaway then circled back into the street, headed for the caddie full throttle with no steering.

I started steering with my feet. Along about here I have to soften things because contemporary culture demands it. Manual shift transmissions will be soon to go, I heard it a few days ago. Go look at Project Censored, the mechnisim by which the denial of manual control is described in professionally accceptable words. There are other issues which stress me, perhaps two talking heads ( you and me ) will be dismissed by the contemporary social structure if we slip in a few keywords like needles and place pictures that have a Totally blank look to match their idea of the Brave New World.

I took my truck in Monday to have it inspected. The kid could not start the vehicle with the key I had been using ten years, ground more brass off of the synchronizers than I have since I bought the truck and only noticed a rollaway vehicle six or eights seconds after the rollaway.

I know this is supposed to be Meaningless Drivel, but lets try'em once for Meaningless meaning don't be mean and Drivel being the Rain Doll of an Idaho Medicine Man.

"The differential equations that describe dynamic interactions of power generators are similar to that of the gravitational interplay among celestial bodies, which is chaotic in nature."
Frank Silbermann
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Pat Farrell:

In the olden days, a studio turntable would get up to speed in an inch.

Why was this needed? We always dropped the needle on the record as it was spinning.
marc weber
Sheriff

Originally posted by Frank Silbermann:
Why was this needed? We always dropped the needle on the record as it was spinning.

This allows you to cue a specific spot, which might be within a song. For example, you could cue a record to start on a specific break or beat, hit the start button, and bring up the fader as the platter gets up to speed.

Some DJs mark spots by putting round stickers over the grooves of the record. The needle hits the edge of the sticker, and is bumped over the grooves until it clears the sticker, which (if you placed the sticker carefully) will be the exact spot you want. That way, you can cue without headphones (if you're brave).

To be really tight, you cue the record, then just before dropping it in, you hold the vinyl in place while starting the platter beneath it (using a slipmat), then just release the vinyl at the precise moment.

For example, I have an LP of a physics lecture, and each side is one "track" so there are no groove markers. There's a specific point on one side where he says, "you're feeling," and then about 2 revolutions later, he says, "whatever." So while I have another record on one turntable, I have a matter of seconds to put that physics record on the platter and get the needle on that precise spot to scratch in, "What-what-what... [rub, rub] Whatever." Then back it up and have it say, "you're feeling" in sync with the other record. Without a sticker on the grooves, I could be spinning forever looking for that spot.

(When I first started with turntables, I put stickers on the label as an "o'clock" marker -- so once I found my spots, I knew a certain sound was at 3 o'clock or 12 o'clock or whatever in relation to that sticker. But I didn't know about using the stickers on the grooves to bump the needle into a precise groove until I saw DJ Z-Trip demo it in the bonus material for the DVD Scratch. )
[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: marc weber ]
Nicholas Jordan
Ranch Hand

Oh, good! My remark about needles was taken as intended. How about vacume tubes instead of vacume stares? Sock hops and beer hops, not hope destroyed.
marc weber
Sheriff

Originally posted by Nicholas Jordan:

Oh, good! My remark about needles was taken as intended...

In the same vein, you mean?
Nicholas Jordan
Ranch Hand

The vein of Galen.

The vein of Galen is located under the cerebral hemispheres of techie and socialite. It drains the anterior and central regions of the brain stash into the wired posterior cerebral fossil sites that us Old Timers now are being sent to. Just like the elephant graveyards of Tar Zan. You have heard of Zane Grey. Grey, who died in 1939 at age 67, almost single-handedly created the "Myth of the West."

Earlier, though not well recorded in Oklahoma UFO landing sites, Zan language developed a Time Archiving Reciever ( tar ) in the Tatty Parsnips. When you sit on them, you wonder where am i anyway? Thus, incoming generations could almost single-mindedly create crates of mythological fantasia and offload them on visitors to the Idaho Rain Doll.

The Idaho Rain Doll, actual operator of the tangible universe, concatenates the physics record on the platter with the players in the physical universe by movements of thought through the vein of Galen. This is called RPG ( Reality Program Generator ) - and drives the denziens of the Realms into a frenzied trance where they download software and provide hard stuff based on mythological protections for whole civilizations.

Folks, believe it or not, marc will actually be able to follow this. marc will be the New Team Lead of the Brave New World.

Anyway, as I was saying before showing mercy on the denziens of reality, the contemporary generation is trained to stop on a dime bag and show veins. Tracks of the telltale tracers by which they can find their way back, like when the snowblind follow ropes in a blizzard, provide a measure of just how far they can go in the vien of Galen. Hemp is favored for such ropes because of it's proven strength in demanding situations.

I think the design Zan Language combined the muse the with the gullible interface. The mutability of Drivel's hyperphonetics is astonishingly void as a delivery vehicle. U-Tube feeding pumped poppies bring codgers to understand that words indicating some degree of resistance will be Fish Babelis.

Try for example: <BLOCKQUOTE>
But If you all use good communication skills to effectively express
</BLOCKQUOTE>It is my nativespeak to Babel ya'll, but today's incoming claim "You just don't understand." and devo(tedly) hope the implication is that the sock hop heads would somehow lack the cerebral abilities to understand this stuff. Claiming
"I feel insulted"

"I'm accomplished at bizzare communication skills. You no longer need the Elixer of Geek nor the Withdrawal Pains Killer. All your needs will be provided by the LCD layer and the megapixel mindgames.

Download software now!

What's amazing is that the fax machine hasn't gone away yet. Most infiltrations of site security involve fax machines at some layer. InfoSec "experts" are now coming out of the university system faster than roaches. It sorta tells you the roaches are being utilized for their smokey aroma and facillitation of the Zar Programming Language.

I can go on for several thousand bytes like this but my contemporary sound equipment is stone cold silent.
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Originally posted by Serg Poluchaevskiy:
in old time there were a little peoples: they bought old unnecesary things by peoples on the street and sold them in case of luck

Aren't they called daemons?
Nicholas Jordan
Ranch Hand

Daemons, as a contemporary nomenclature, derives ultimately from Demotic, an administrative, legal, and commercial empire - now extinct. By blaming personal failure on a lost empire, our kids can run in the background while we continue this discussion.
Ben Souther
Sheriff

Originally posted by Serg Poluchaevskiy:

[ April 25, 2008: Message edited by: Serg Poluchaevskiy ]

Hey Serg...

Java API J2EE API Servlet Spec JSP Spec How to ask a question... Simple Servlet Examples jsonf

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Things our kids won't understand