my dog learned polymorphism*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification" Watch "New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification" New topic
Author

New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification

Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Maybe they are late? The site says winners will be notified by today. It also has beta submission registration open. You'd think they would need to close it to pick the distribution of beta participants.

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Maybe they are late? The site says winners will be notified by today. It also has beta submission registration open. You'd think they would need to close it to pick the distribution of beta participants.

Yay ! the page just expired.

Sorry!

The promotional page you have requested has expired. Please check Sun's training Web site for other offers and programs.

Sincerely,

Sun Microsystems

Thats a good sign. No signs of an email yet. Keep your fingers crossed

SCJP 6 articles - SCJP 5/6 mock exams - More SCJP Mocks
N.Senthil Kumar
Ranch Hand

Sun told that the Selected Participants can write the Exam in Selected Cities between July 22 and July31.

Two days gone...

I am worrying there is No mails from them.

N.Senthil Kumar
S. Vijay
Ranch Hand

Did anyone receive any mails from SUN mentioning about the selected participants???

Does anyone have any idea which will be the selected cities for the beta exam???
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Nope. I would think they would send a "sorry not picked" e-mail at least. For marketing purposes and all.

The whole thing has come across as disorganized to me. (page disappeared, not taking it down until after the stated goal of picking people) Maybe they are running late?

It didn't say what the selected cities were. Another odd thing. Which leads me to believe they hadn't decided as of when they put up the page. Otherwise why invite people outside those cities to apply. Waste of processing power.
S. Vijay
Ranch Hand

Yes you are right Jeanne. If they have mentioned the cities before the persons who are out of reach from that place wouldn't have applied but they are making their work complicated. There are many important regions where students write test in plenty. To me probably there are more than 200 places if they are picking 200 students my guess is atleast 1 to the max 2 students from each important place will be selected. Lets see what happens. Anyway thanks for the info.
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

No reply from them. What's going on?

SCJP6, SCWCD5, OCE:EJBD6.
BLOG: http://leakfromjavaheap.blogspot.com
Deepak Bala
Bartender

May be it was really a survey to see how many participants would be interested

I was expecting a 'sorry you were not picked' email as well. Looks more than a little disorganized.
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Maybe they laugh in our face?
Nitish Bangera
Ranch Hand

It would be great

[ SCJP 6.0 - 90% ] , JSP, Servlets and Learning EJB.
Try out the programs using a TextEditor. Textpad - Java 6 api
Nitish Bangera
Ranch Hand

I agree with Jason....The knowledge that we get is more precious than anything...well i compare knowledge with experience. A knowledgeable person can be at par with a experienced person or even more than that person. But speaking of dumps and cheating. Dumps are really not available and its certainly a good thing and they are totally useless except for people who go with just mugging practice rather than understanding. How do actually people cheat in SCJP???
Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:It didn't say what the selected cities were. Another odd thing. Which leads me to believe they hadn't decided as of when they put up the page. Otherwise why invite people outside those cities to apply. Waste of processing power.

One thing that has occurred to me in the interim, while we wait to hear about this exam - is it possible that Sun put up the page before they were really ready for it? That this had been a mock-up that accidentally slipped out somehow onto the "production" web site? The fact that the response email I got was blank, after submitting my application to take part in the beta, would seem to potentially indicate that.

Theodore Jonathan Casser
SCJP/SCSNI/SCBCD/SCWCD/SCDJWS/SCMAD/SCEA/MCTS/MCPD... and so many more letters than you can shake a stick at!
Deepak Bala
Bartender

The fact that the response email I got was blank, after submitting my application to take part in the beta, would seem to potentially indicate that.

That is a point to consider. However the page did expire on time. The date also seems to indicate that it is a production page.
Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Saloon Keeper

We're all in the software delivery industry. Do we really believe that any programming-centric company is going to make their deadlines?

I've found Sun has been pretty good with timing on their betas and stuff, but still, I'm never surprised if a date gets missed.

I continue to wait. I do hope anyone that does get picked posts quickly so we know the worm has got out of the can.

-Cameron McKenzie
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Cameron Wallace McKenzie wrote:We're all in the software delivery industry. Do we really believe that any programming-centric company is going to make their deadlines?

I've found Sun has been pretty good with timing on their betas and stuff, but still, I'm never surprised if a date gets missed.

I continue to wait. I do hope anyone that does get picked posts quickly so we know the worm has got out of the can.

-Cameron McKenzie

couldnt agree more. But ah ! we just cant wait.
Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand

Not to wake a zombie or anything but... I got an email today from them saying that the beta has been delayed while they align it more fully with JDK 7. So it'll be out eventually, probably later this year or early next.
Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Saloon Keeper

Yup, I got the same thing:

I also started a separate thread:

Update to the SCJP Plus Exam - Delayed

Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification Beta

Dear Cameron,

Thank you for your interest in the Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification – Sun's first performance based Java Certification exam.

We wanted to inform you that the full beta for the new Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification has been delayed to later in this year based on the results from initial beta testing and to align more closely with the upcoming release of JDK 7. We will get back in touch with you as soon as we have revised dates for the full beta test.

If you have any questions or feedback, please send a message to sunlearninglink@sun.com

Thank you,

Sun Microsystems
S Ali
Ranch Hand

I don't understand can I still take SCJP 6 or not ? I've been preparing for a month now but I still need some time before I can take it .Will it still be valid next month or the month after?

SCJP 6
Deepak Bala
Bartender

I got the same. Atleast we have an update. The update is - "sometime this year", which still excites me.
Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand

S Ali wrote:I don't understand can I still take SCJP 6 or not ? I've been preparing for a month now but I still need some time before I can take it .Will it still be valid next month or the month after?

Bear in mind that Sun certifications don't "expire" - they are linked to a given version of Java, but they don't cease to be valid. A successful try at certification for Java SE 6 will still be valid, even when JDK 7 comes out, or 8, or 9. (It'll just be, though, for Java SE 6, and will say so on the face of it.)
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Yeah, and Sun will inform us three months before the exam's retirement. You can keep going with preparations
Pierre-Adrien Buisson
Greenhorn

Do we have any clue about when will the SCJP not be available anymore ?

Cause I was about to prepare for it, and was planning to take the exam on december or january, when I go back home. I don't really know what to do anymore then
Anastasia Sirotenko
Ranch Hand

Pierre-Adrien Buisson wrote:Do we have any clue about when will the SCJP not be available anymore ?

Cause I was about to prepare for it, and was planning to take the exam on december or january, when I go back home. I don't really know what to do anymore then

Anyways, preparing for SCJP will not harm if you will have to pass SCJP+. But it is so long story to prepare and test their new test-engine, i bet SCJP+ won't be ready until next spring or summer...

[SCJP 6.0]
Pierre-Adrien Buisson
Greenhorn

Anastasia Sirotenko wrote:Anyways, preparing for SCJP will not harm if you will have to pass SCJP+. But it is so long story to prepare and test their new test-engine, i bet SCJP+ won't be ready until next spring or summer...

Yes I think you're right ! I'm going to prepare myself for the SCJP anyway, and see what happens then
Jonathon Stride
Ranch Hand

once SCJP+ is out Sun will make the older SCJP nulll and void ?
so im preparing to give...nothing ? anyone know ?

2 interviews failed cause of not having SCJP ( and counting...)
not anymore !

SCJP 6 (70%)

now ready to count other reasons :P...
Anastasia Sirotenko
Ranch Hand

Jonathon Stride wrote:once SCJP+ is out Sun will make the older SCJP nulll and void ?
so im preparing to give...nothing ? anyone know ?

No, all previous SCJP certificates still valid and will be valid after any new version of Java or of exam form comes out.
Those certificates are about how well you know the field, not about what version of exam did you take.
Nitish Bangera
Ranch Hand

Jonathon Stride says
so im preparing to give...nothing ?

Seems you are just for the certificate and not for the knowledge. Well as Anastasia said, certifications are there to tell what you know about the language and not simply to get a piece of paper. Sun's certificate are valued because people do recognize it all over the world and Sun values the people who take their certification. So there is no way they are going to make it void. All versions are valid till the end(wherever it is). The new exam is just a measure against the so called cheaters and rote memorizing people. Sun is now getting into the surety mode so that whoever gets their certification really knows what he learn't and not my following some set of questions and answers. Its just list SCJD where the coder only can answer the essay questions properly based on the project he submitted.
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

I also tested today. The page got expired.

So ultimately, the sun has back-tracked. Is it ?

Until further notification, we can sit back with our SCJPs??

Everything has got its own deadline including one's EGO!
[CodeBarn] [Java Concepts-easily] [Corey's articles] [SCJP-SUN] [Servlet Examples] [Java Beginners FAQ] [Sun-Java Tutorials] [Java Coding Guidelines]
Pari Nanoti
Greenhorn

Hey guys

I don't want to start a new thread here, but is sun planning for SCWCD+?

Thanks & Regards, Happy to help
Parimal Nanoti (SCJP 6)
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Pari Nanoti wrote:Hey guys

I don't want to start a new thread here, but is sun planning for SCWCD+?

Nope.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification