• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Info concerning the updates to the SCJP 6 exam

Ranch Hand
MyEclipse IDE Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can anyone tell me what all topics wiil be covered in SCji(plus)
Thanks in advance...
(Som Prakash Rai)

Ranch Hand
PHP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Somprakash Rai wrote:Can anyone tell me what all topics wiil be covered in SCji(plus)
Thanks in advance...
(Som Prakash Rai)

Read my previous post...
Also check the SCJP FAQ

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey guys .... whats the type of communication is this... ?
Ok...
If someboby wish to ans my problem (see my previous post) then you can also mail me at snehalgtj@yahoomail.com or @gmail.com
All the best for all....

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi everyone .

I cleared SCJP with just 88% of marks. But I m really happy in doing this and not getting sad.
Thanks to the JavaRanch as it helped me a lot in getting through many logics.

HATS OFF

And also special thanks to KS and BB .

Greenhorn
Firefox Browser Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,

Sorry I am asking the same old question.
Is SCJP the same OCPJP.
I mean does the beautifully written book SCJP K&B is well sufficient to pass OCPJP cert?
I wanted to confirm since its a very long after OCPJP replaced SCJP.

Thanks in advance.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bert,

I found a mistake in SCJP Certified Java Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide.

page 281

Correct answers A and B.. But, it even will not compile , it doesn't contain getBidValue method ..

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum. I plan on studying for the SCJP 6 exam. However, I have the Kathy and Bert SCJP study guide and Head First Java books for the 310-055 (SCJP 5) exam that I purchased more than an year ago. Can I still leverage these books or is it advisable for me to sell these on Amazon and purchase the new edition?

Thanks for your help.
Deepak

Deepak Chand
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Deepak Chand wrote:Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum. I plan on studying for the SCJP 6 exam. However, I have the Kathy and Bert SCJP study guide and Head First Java books for the 310-055 (SCJP 5) exam that I purchased more than an year ago. Can I still leverage these books or is it advisable for me to sell these on Amazon and purchase the new edition?

Thanks for your help.
Deepak

Folks, any pointers for my post please? Thanks in advance.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Deepak,

In the future it's probably best to start a new topic when you have a new question like this.

If you already have the SCJP 5 study guide you don't need to buy the SCJP 6 guide. (Unless you're rich - then you should buy two )

The differences between the SCJP 5 and SCJP 6 exams is very small. If you search this forum you can find posts that discuss the differences, and these differences you can look up yourself in the API.

This might be a little off because I'm going from my shaky memory, but I think the only differences are:

- SCJP 6 adds the Console class
- SCJP 6 adds Navigable collections

Again, check other threads in this forum.

hth,

Bert

Deepak Chand
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the clarification, Bert!

Will keep your pointers in mind.

Cheers!
Deepak

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bert Bates wrote:Hi Guys,

We've got some news from Sun concerning recent changes to the SCJP exam.

First a little background about how Sun ALWAYS administers their certification exams:

All of Sun's exams go through rigorous processes during their creation, AND during their "live" lifetime. First off, the exam's objectives are created and verified. Next, new questions are created using an iterative creation / review / beta test / modification cycle. Once questions have gone "live" their performance is also monitored. Sun checks to see if the questions become too easy or too hard over time, or if questions cause too much confusion. When Sun determines that certain questions aren't performing well in the field, those questions are either fixed and retested, or they are retired.

Finally, Sun wants their certification exams to be challenging. They don't publish their targeted "candidate success" goals, but our assumption is that they want a certain percentage of candidates to pass, and that means a certain percentage will fail. Whatever their formula is, it appears that they want those percentages to stay fairly consistent over time (which makes a great deal of sense, and seems very fair). In other words, if there was a universal "difficulty" rating, and let's say the initial SCJP 6 exam had a difficulty rating of "7.6" (I'm totally making this up ), then when they fix or retire questions they still want the resulting exam to have a difficulty rating of "7.6".

With all that said, what happened recently is that Sun determined that several questions and objectives weren't performing well in the field. Some questions were fixed, and some were retired. In order to maintain a consistent difficulty level, they changed some of the objectives, re-evaluated the remaining questions' difficulty levels, and came up with a new number of questions, and a new passing percentage.

But, long story short, Sun went through an extensive process to make sure that the revised exam is just as hard to pass as the older version - not easier, not harder.

hth,

Bert

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Respected sir,
My name is Ravi Kishore, I am doing M.C.A final year, I am interested to do java certification. But I am economically very poor, I am not barring the high cost for certification, can you please help to do certification, and please guide to how to prepare for that,
In this any mistakes are there please excuse-me sir, I will waiting for your reply.
Thanking you sir,
Yours faithfully,
Ravi Kishore Jampani

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

The SCJP exam is now under Pearson VUE. I just want to confirm if there are any changes in the exam format or something like that? I checked Oracle website. The number of questions are reduced to 60 and the passing percentage is 58.8%. I am not sure if the percentage was 65% before.

Any other changes? Can someone explain please?

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hassan Khan wrote:Hi,

The SCJP exam is now under Pearson VUE. I just want to confirm if there are any changes in the exam format or something like that? I checked Oracle website. The number of questions are reduced to 60 and the passing percentage is 58.8%. I am not sure if the percentage was 65% before.

Any other changes? Can someone explain please?

yes, the prices have been revised to 300USD. Its too high.

Hassan Khan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Yes! I booked the exam and paid £202 + £42 VAT i.e. £242 in total.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi everybody !
i am novel to java world and i would like to pass the programmer certification exam .
fisrt and foremost,i wanna know what are pre-requesits chapters .i guess the list of
the necessary chapters am i supposed to master because java is a huge programming
language (core java,java advanced & J2EE ).
these are different offered courses of java.
tks guys in advance for kind response [/color]

Hassan Khan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

It is actually £202 + £40 VAT i.e. £242 in total.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
BAD NEWS SCJP6 EXAM 1Z0-851 reduced to 150 minutes.
[My appologies if this is a duplicate, previous message seems to have vanished]

Today I noticed on:
http://education.oracle.com/
that they have just reduced the duration of this exam (ex sun 310-065) by 30 minutes!

[07 MAY 2011] Questions: 60 Duration: 180 minutes
[15 JUN 2011] Questions: 60 Duration: 150 minutes

Good luck to us all!

Personally I don't think I'll have enough time to spare to apply the "good advices on exam taking" as shown on page XXIV of the SCJP6 Study Guide.

oli ikwayo
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
BAD NEWS SCJP6 EXAM 1Z0-851 reduced to 150 minutes.
[My appologies if this is a duplicate, previous message seems to have vanished]

Today I noticed on: (note: full web address refused by forum!)
http://education.oracle.com/...
that they have just reduced the duration of this exam (ex sun 310-065) by 30 minutes!

[07 MAY 2011] Questions: 60 Duration: 180 minutes
[15 JUN 2011] Questions: 60 Duration: 150 minutes

Good luck to us all!

Personally I don't think I'll have enough time to spare to apply the "good advices on exam taking" as shown on page XXIV of the SCJP6 Study Guide.

Greenhorn
Hibernate PHP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
very cool, thanks for explanation

Greenhorn
Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi dear. I have just joined this forum and thought you have a good knowledge about scjp.
so will you please tell me something more about this exam? how to register and what is the registration fees, etc.
thanks for this buddy

Ranch Hand
Spring Java Google App Engine
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sneha Bharti wrote:I am going to appear for SCJP 6.
Is Kethy & sierra is sufficient?
wat else do i need to study?

Hi Sneha,
Kathy sierra book is more than enough to get good score in scjp.
Do all the programs in that book. and practice the concepts again and again.
you will get good score, all the best..

Radhakrishna Sharma Gorenta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Andrew Ivanov wrote:Hi Bert,

page 281

Correct answers A and B.. But, it even will not compile , it doesn't contain getBidValue method ..

Hi Andrew,
Don't apply your own assumptions. That program is correct. And the answer is D. Because of that line an error occurred at the line where getBidValue() method is there.
In the exam also we have to think from the examiner point of view but not in ours. I hope you got my point.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Hibernate Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

radhakrishna sharma gorenta wrote:

Andrew Ivanov wrote:Hi Bert,

page 281

Hi Andrew,
Don't apply your own assumptions. That program is correct. And the answer is D. Because of that line an error occurred at the line where getBidValue() method is there.
In the exam also we have to think from the examiner point of view but not in ours. I hope you got my point.

It was very unclear what you just said. I guess it was some type of joke but not really clear enough.

To A.Ivanov. What are those A.B.C.D. Does one of them point to a compilation error ? My personal take about Sun/Oracle certification. Exan is made of at least 50% completely stupid questions w/out any serious connection to real life development. But I guess this is part of the game.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello every one,

can any one tell me about this "Java 6 Study Guide".
from where i can get this.

Thanks in advance.

Ajay Kumar Shrivastava
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello every one,

Thanks Mr radhakrishna for your reply.
but can you tell me any thing about this "Java 6 Study Guide".
from where i can get this.

what type of changes took place in new S.C.J.P. exam 1.6

Thanks in advance

Radhakrishna Sharma Gorenta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
don't bother about exam. get the "kathy sierra and bert bates book for SCJP". the questions are very easy. everyone can easily get minimum 80 %

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Guys,

One of my friend gave me scjp5 book but i updated myself with ocpjp6 add-ons as i am appearing for ocpjp6 . But i don't have the master exam cd for ocpjp6, can anybody tell me how to get just the cd or is it very important to do that master exam or can i just go ahead with ocpjp5 cd? is there any website that gives equivalent mock exams?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I am planning to appear for OCPJP in the last week of August' 2011. I am reading "Sun Certified Programmer For Java 6 Study Guide by Sierra & Bates." But I am very much tensed for the exam as I am really dependent on this for my Job. Can anyone say me the exam pattern? Or just provide me a link for the same.

Thanks & Regards,
Arjun M

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I took SCJP/OCP Java SE 6 Programmer on 29th July. The exam pattern was: 60 questions, 150 minutes, 61% passing score. There were no drag-and-drop questions, all were: select correct answer or select X correct answers.

My preparations included reading 2 times Sierra & Bates (with inside book tests), doing true/false cow gathering on java ranch, all tests from CD from Sierra & Bates and all ExamLab's tests.

I can said that the sentence from ExamLab that "if you have around 60%, you should get around 90% on real exam" was true in my case, since I managed to score 90% after getting in my last week of preparation around 60% in ExamLab tests. This probably means new version is almost the same as the old one. I also wrote some java code during reading book and doing preparation tests (almost recopied all examples from book + had fun with modifying hardcore tests questions to tests how the compiler will behave). Plus I was using java in my job (for like half a year). Exam preparations took be around 3 months (started on 6th May).

Given 150 minutes was enough for me. I've managed to do an finalizing check of all question at the end and still had some time to rethink some of the problematic questions.

After the exam instead of receiving a cool percentage sections/score summary in the Examination Score Report I got only my score and... all sections in witch I made mistakes during the exam, so you can guess with good probability what you had wrong (numbers of sections was equal with number of incorrect answers in my case). This were the same as "what you need to know" from oracle page, e.g. "Write code that uses the generic versions of the Collections API, in particular, the Set, List, and Map interfaces and implementation classes. Recognize the limitations of the non-generic Collections API and how to refactor code to use the generic versions."

About the exam: all questions were grouped in sections, so there was a group of thread questions, next a group of compilation questions, next a group of collection questions and so on, no shuttling between areas of knowledge while moving forward. I had some tricky-icky things like

catch (Exception e) { ; }

or

with can easily be unspotted at first glance, but after checking run I corrected my noobish mistakes, with actually was even more noobish, since java compilator says that that catch is correct - damn, stupid me . I also had a situation were two questions were almost the same (they differed in one line of code (from around 20) - and I'm almost sure I got them both wrong because I unspotted compilation error. In overall questions were much easier than questions from with I was preparing to and those that are in a book. Especially select X correct answers are very easy since it's really hard to even consider some of those options they are providing as a correct one and knowing how many answers you should check helps a lot. The most difficult were those with compilation error/runtime exceptions, but still much less difficult than those in book or in ExamLab. Do not ignore compilation - had like 3 questions from it and must say they were (at least for me, since it was my least known section) really crazy.

In my opinion if you are preparing to SCJP, OCP is the same.

Wish you all luck and a 100% score!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please tell me all the valid ID proof for the exam...I also want to know whether Voter id and PAN card is sufficient....

Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Recently i received a call from private coaching classes, saying, SCJP exam going to change, it's pattern etc.,
It is going to become Oracle certification, this is understood, but they also mentioned, that, you have to complete one training before that, then only you can appear for exam.
And this is going to be mandatory from 1st Oct 2011.

Do any one have any idea about it?

Thanks,
Neha Rane.

Neha Rane
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

saurabh nitrrr wrote:Please tell me all the valid ID proof for the exam...I also want to know whether Voter id and PAN card is sufficient....

Pan card is enough proof.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hassan Khan wrote:

It is actually £202 + £40 VAT i.e. £242 in total.

According to the following link, the exam price is Rupees 5845. Please let me know which one is correct.
OCP-JP

Ranch Hand
MyEclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Neha Rane wrote:Hi,
Recently i received a call from private coaching classes, saying, SCJP exam going to change, it's pattern etc.,
It is going to become Oracle certification, this is understood, but they also mentioned, that, you have to complete one training before that, then only you can appear for exam.
And this is going to be mandatory from 1st Oct 2011.

Do any one have any idea about it?

Thanks,
Neha Rane.

This is the technique of earning your private coaching class.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Any information regarding Java 7 exam?

Thanks
Jain
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic