aspose file tools*
The moose likes Bunkhouse Porch and the fly likes You Choose the Head First Cover--essays Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Books » Bunkhouse Porch
Reply locked New topic
Author

You Choose the Head First Cover--essays

Naina Si
Ranch Hand

I like both Flower girl and Plaid guy. Flower girl can go to the cover page and guy to the other side. Or together on the cover page
Naina Si
Ranch Hand

I like Plaid guy better, he is confident and self explanatory for Design Patterns book with his shirt and smile
Jeff Langr
author
Ranch Hand

A, Flower Girl. 75%+ developers are horny geek males. Sex appeal sells.

-J-

Books: Agile Java, Modern C++ Programming with TDD, Essential Java Style, Agile in a Flash. Contributor, Clean Code.
Kai Witte
Ranch Hand

hello,

it must be K: Snowboard Girl.

Although J: Black Shirt Guy looks enlighted and inspiring, only the Snowboard Girl has this cool charisma which perfectly emphasis the attitude: Head First!

Yours

Conan
[ September 07, 2004: Message edited by: Conan Elvitaro ]

Kai Witte's business website Kai Witte's private homepage
Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by David Hibbs:
My preference for which cover photo should be selected is (P), Biker Couple. I have several reasons for this selection.

First off, when you see a biker couple you immediately have a number of stereotypes come to mind. Voila, you've just implemented a pattern in your own mind. You have your own ideas and conceptions of what to expect from a biker couple as a pattern of behavior.

Accordingly, many people view bikers as rugged, tough, no-nonsesne types.
Similarly, patterns are often intended as rough, rugged, go-anywhere problem-solvers. While discussion of whether this perception of bikers is accurate may be a discussion for another day, it is no doubt that such discussion on patterns is seen day after day in message boards such as the JavaRanch!

Additionally, any implementation of a pattern typically needs polish. It needs tweaking for your own particular project or style. Clean up a biker couple and they can fit into even the most exclusive of clubs. Many biker clubs tout that they have CEOs and CFOs in their group. You may be surprised to hear it, but you can truly find bikers anywhere--just like design patterns!

Finally, there has been some discussion on dating here at the JavaRanch... Dating Patterns to be exact! Check out the coffee house and see--the original reference is in the June 2003 newsletter athttp://www.javaranch.com/newsletter/June2003/newsletterjune2003.jsp#a4, but there is another long discussion in the October 2003 (http://www.javaranch.com/newsletter/200310/NewsletterOctober2003.jsp#a3) issue as well -- and there are frequent references to it in later articles! If dating and patterns are a frequent pairing on the 'Ranch, shouldn't there be a couple on the cover of a book on design patterns?!?

[ September 07, 2004: Message edited by: David Hibbs ]

Music to the ears! They'd know a thing or two about Schrodinger's cat.

Le Cafe Mouse - Helen's musings on the web - Java Skills and Thrills
"God who creates and is nature is very difficult to understand, but he is not arbitrary or malicious." OR "God does not play dice." - Einstein
Warren Dew
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Anthony Watson:

I) I don't think a soccer mom will help sell a programming book.

Oh, man, below the belt! You should definitely win the prize for the best reason not to use a picture.

(Though come to think of it, any soccer mom who also holds down a job as a software engineer probably deserves to be a cover girl!)
Solomon Movva
Greenhorn

Granted Flower Girl (A) is hot, but I can find a hot girl on any magazine.
Curly hair girl (G) is nice but a little too in-her-own-world..
Supersize me (M) has this nice hostess thing going, but that's not gonna solve my design issues.
Pigtails Girl (N) unfortunately doesn't
Brunette Maroon shirt (I), Snowboard girl (K) and Pink Shirt Arms Overhead bring a lot to the table with their attitude, but I have to go with Brunette Black Shirt (D) since she seems to have the laid back look and the confident know-it-all attitude.

(D) is the girl for the cover pic.
Good luck with the selections
Ajith Anand
Ranch Hand

it is F.

I asked F for the secret recipes of his success - the bag-of-tricks which is secretly hidden in his pocket.

For which I got an answer from him - Take it if you can, But not from my pocket. it is the bunch of design patterns in my head!

LXI Technologies P Ltd
[url]www.lxisoft.com[/url]
Solomon Movva
Greenhorn

Granted Flower Girl (A) is hot, but I can find a hot girl on any magazine.
Curly hair girl (G) is nice but a little too in-her-own-world..
Supersize me (M) has this nice hostess thing going, but that's not gonna solve my design issues.
Pigtails Girl (N) unfortunately doesn't give me the confidence either to open the book and solve the real world problems.
Brunette Maroon shirt (I), Snowboard girl (K) and Pink Shirt Arms Overhead bring a lot to the table with their attitude, but I have to go with Brunette Black Shirt (D). "She's got the look" . She seems to have the laid back look with the confident know-it-all attitude.

(D) is the girl for the cover pic.
Good luck with the selections
munirka pg
Greenhorn

M: SuperSize me speaks volumes ( or is it books) to me !
Its where I am in the stages of this game, not yet an adult... but not a child either.. a young adult at best needing supersizing.
The picture brings to vivid notice 3 things like a pattern is a three-part rule, which expresses a relation between a certain context, a problem, and a solution.
It hints that a pattern is more than just a proven solution to a recurring problem, what else to remind myself that since one of my Homo Erectus anscestors discovered fire the most consumed hunger soluton in the Home Morden-us world is probably burgers followed closely by the fries.....(sad but maybe true.
It depicts a "serveuse"(lookup your high school french) like us who are in the process of serving information to the hungry hordes of corporate consumers.
What does She say?
Cease being a Observer and drop your Facades- Pick up your Prototype trays and Iterate to the Abstract factory, and make like a Composite Builder and Bridge the Chain of Responsiblity or do you need a Visitor from my "not so FlyWeight" Singleton Mediator
Don Stadler
Ranch Hand

Black Shirt Guy (J) is the obvious choice. This guy is so cool - he's obviously got his patterns together. He even looks like an architect I once knew!
Alan Wanwierd
Ranch Hand

Perhaps "M:supersize me" represents what pattern based development is all about:

Problem: How to make ordering fast-food quick and easy given the multitudes of permutations and combinations of menu options available.

Solution: Offer pre-packaged value objects containing a commonly desired set of food stuffs for one slightly discounted price. Thus prompting the customer to ask for a standardised set of menu items.

Advantages: Makes the decision making process easier for customers by reducing the complexity of choices and increases profits by persuading more customers to by a drink even when they would have preferred to get a can from the newagent next door..

When not to use: When the image of your cullinary establishment is required to be upmarket the use of pre-packaged meal deals will tend to make you look tacky and scare classy high-spending customers away.
Don Stadler
Ranch Hand

You forgot to mention code bloat, Adrian. Or is that another benefit of using patterns?
Joe McIntyre
Ranch Hand

If I had to vote, I'd vote for the Asian girl in the black shirt. However... I'd like to point out that the publishing industry has yet to see it's first instance of a software technology manual with mud wrestling on the cover. How about the Asian girl and the flower girl mud wrestling for a copy of HF Servlets and JSP?
Barbara Norway
Ranch Hand

Note to Wally Flint: Jeeeeesh!

*beginning of rant *

I don't have any deep reasons or explanations but I hope the cover will be either the Biker couple (tatoos/patterns and an attention-getting cover for a tech book) or "Pink arms over head girl" because, I dunno, she looks cute and carefree w/o looking live a cover of YHM (is that the magazine?, something like that, or Details). Or plaid guy or Asian girl, black shirt is ok, too.

After reading some of these posts I just roll my eyes: please guys, get a magazine AND the new Design Patterns book. Do you really want drool all over your HF book ? After Wally F. posted I thought, I wanna say something 'cause there are some people who just want a book we can take to work without the book drawing a crowd of salivating coworkers when we're trying to study, Head First!

*end of rant*

All the above, just kidding, y'all.

farmkitty
Joe McIntyre
Ranch Hand

Hey FarmKitty - what are you wearin'?
Barbara Norway
Ranch Hand

You're hilarious
Lionel Orellana
Ranch Hand

How many times you've been working or studying late and suddenly realise you haven't eaten all day? What do you do? You go accross the road and yell SUPER SIZE ME!!! This is a homage to all of us for those long hard-working hours and also to that girl behind the counter that fixes everything with her smile. It tells you "hey, this won't be easy, but you can put a nice spin to it" ... isn't that the whole HF principle?
Kathy Sierra
Cowgirl and Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Barbara Norway:
...there are some people who just want a book we can take to work without the book drawing a crowd of salivating coworkers when we're trying to study, Head First!

The other authors and I have discussed this mud wrestling thing, and if we DO go with it... we've also considered Barbara's issue (NOT a trivial concern). We think we have a solution--special "at work" book covers that you can use to cover the book and make it *appear* all serious and, um, *appropriate*.

Sadly, we can't pull off the mud wrestling thing in time for the Design Patterns book, though. But I'll let you speculate on the kinds of pictures you might have to choose from for our *next* book cover contest...

OK folks, keep going. Y'all are quite a creative group!

cheers,
Kathy
Todd Scales
Greenhorn

I do believe I've completely lost touch with what's hip in the world. So far no one has said, "N: Pigtails Girl"! Well, were it *my* book hitting the shelves, she'd be the cover.

Besides being extremely attractive, surely a given requirement in the land of G2G (Geek to Geek) marketing, she also has a decidedly intelligent and almost daring look about her - almost like she's saying, "c'mon...open the book... I'll bet you'll learn something". If you don't think great looks and a sense of challenge sells, just look at current TV programming with the likes of Fear Factor, etc.

So I say, catch their eye with the good looks, rope 'em with the challenging gaze, and tie 'em up with your content!
mars76
Ranch Hand

Hi All,

My Choice is Flower Girl (A).

Here is the reasons why i chose it..

1) Different Flowers on her T-Shirt represent different patterns we have and each pattern has got it's own flavour.

> Sateesh
Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand

Can we have bartenders writin' and votin', please ? It's within the rules.
Raju Sri
Ranch Hand

Hi ,
I will choose "Pink Shirt Arms Overhead".
As any system is easy to build and maintain by using proper Patterns , I like the Pink girl with cute smiling face who seems to be much relaxed by building her system with good Pattern desing.

Regards
Raju

SCJP 1.4<br />SCWCD 1.4<br />SCBCD 1.3<br />SCDJWS 1.4
Rudy Harianto
Ranch Hand

This is what happened when I was preparing for SCJP:

Midnight 01:00AM..

My weary eyes: �I�m so tired, and tomorrow morning I have to continue working with java project all day long. Come on, let�s get some sleep.�

My hungry brain: �oh, no.. no.. can�t you see I�m not finish my �Head First� meal? I�m still hungry�

My opinion is:
1. Just like the girl in Supersize Me (M) offering a food, Head First series is also offering a food for our thought.
2. The girl is like saying, �hei.. It�s a new product. Let�s try and taste it�. I haven�t known much about design pattern (that�s why I need this book), but looked at my supervisor studying and thinking about design pattern, I have an image that Design pattern is also like a food. We must have an experience to taste as many kind of food as we can in order to know which food is suitable for us and in what occasions. Same thing as design pattern. We have to know as many designs as we can and try to use what�s suitable for our project.

cheers,

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4, SCBCD 1.3, SCJA<br /> <br />blog: <a href="http://jroller.com/page/rharianto" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://jroller.com/page/rharianto</a>
sever oon
Ranch Hand

This is really easy. A or N...most Java programmers are guys (sorry girls, but it's true), you want to move books, and these two are heeeeeee-yot. Like, total war hot. Scorched earth hot. Stripmine the planet hot. Let's-go-back-to-aerosol-cans-loaded-with-CFCs hot.

In conclusion, they're good-looking.
Syed Mubeen
Greenhorn

I think Option J: (Black Shirt Guy) fits.

He looking, just like a designer that demonstrate their design in any firm without any hesitation and here his postures and guestures also have a value

Mubeen Shah<br />------------<br />Sun Certified Java Programmer<br />Sun Certified Web Component Developer
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

Originally posted by Barbara Norway:

[...]
get a magazine AND the new Design Patterns book.

LOL!
Axel Janssen
Ranch Hand

I am one of those H: blue shirt arms crossed supporters.
Does remind the readers to finally start activities to put those do-more-sport-again ideas into praxis.
Helen Crosbie
Greenhorn

Well, it's always hard making a decision of any kind, so I'm definitely going to need a copy of this book to make design decisions a bit less stressful. Having said that, I have a vested interest in making sure that the cover appeals!

Tackling this on an emotional level, I was immediately intimidated by all those people with such big heads!! How can the book be of any use to me (a small-headed person, as you might have gathered) if it's covered by a big-head? Not only that, but some of the angles the pictures were taken at gave me a sense of vertigo. Oh help!

Having eliminated the big-headed, scary people, I was looking for a comforting soul-mate. Someone who looked caring, supportive and reassuring.

I have chosen P: Biker Couple as they look the friendliest and make a nice couple.
Helen Crosbie
Greenhorn

Now I've read all the other entries (I didn't want to read them before I voted in case I was influenced), I realise how many different ideas there are and how many different opinions.

To try to please even more people than by picking one picture, couldn't you have a Do-It-Yourself cover? You could have a blank space in the centre of the front cover and sell the book with a set of stickers, one of each of the pictures. Everyone could then choose their own favourite and stick it on their book. Each copy would then be personalised.
Shanika Weerapperuma
Greenhorn

hi,

My selection : L: Pink Shirt Arms Overhead

She looks simply cool,relaxing and looks always on-the-go kind. Ideal for the new book of Design Patterns. The colour of her top creates a peaceful atmosphere in the minds of the readers, that will make complexities of the Design Patterns described much simpler to grasp.

shanika
Steven Hoodless
Ranch Hand

I'm posting my reply to win a book and as I don't want a book about Magic Tricks I'd prefer not to see black shirt guy on the cover

I vote for E blonde with stripes. She has an honest and intelligent face without appearing geeky, freaky or creepy. Shame about those crazy legs!

Steven

SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD.
Pho Tek
Ranch Hand

Let me say at the outset that I own both GOF and James Trott's Design Pattern's Explained. Both their covers are simple and clean with bright corporate colors. They exude professionalism and conveys an academic seriousness. Both even opted to have a snapshot from one of Escher's intricate paintings on the cover.

Back to the matter at hand. HeadFirst series of books aims to educate readers but to use a more right brain approach. I'm a right brain person, so I think in a more holistic, visual and organic manner. I think and understand things better with colors, mindmaps, hypermedia and visuals. And of course, dreary and high brow prose is out.

Thus, I think the cover for HeadFirstDesignPattern should convey the following attributes:
A) Bright & Colorful
B) Positive
C) Free spirit fun

The reason why I chose Figure D is because it satisfies all the above requirements and other unexplainable things. My analysis follows below. Refer to the table.

A la American Idol, here's where I start voting off people based on my personal whims and fancies. Firstly, I would vote off any pictures with sunglasses on because one should NOT hide your eyes behind sunglasses. Also any pictures with all Ns (see table) are removed.

Thus that leaves us with ... A, D, E, F, G, I, J, L, M, N, O and P.

Next I vote off anything that looks a bit boring, too conservative. e.g. E, J, O, N, I. I also voting off P because it's a bit too outrageous for a techy book. No offence to bikers.

At this juncture, we're left with ... A, D, F, G, L, & M.

Now, I'm going to call upon my own personal sense of asthetics. Thinking out loud, figures F, G, L & M reeks of "cheekiness". Figures A & D are both attractive ladies. On the spur of the moment, I'm voting out L. The past two HeadFirst books have been men, so it's about time we give this chance to a female.

That's leaves ... A, D, G, & M.

Another burst of spontaneity strikes, and I vote out M - mainly due to the picture of fastfoods. I'm allergic to artery clogging foods. Now that we've whittled down the list to 3 pictures. But wait, I'm voting off G because I've gotten tired of it already in the span of these few minutes while writing this essay. So it's a throw-up between A and D. The big difference with A is that it is very colorful. But if I had to make a choice, my gut feel tells me that the girl in D would make me pick up the book at the bookstore.

So my selection is ... (drum roll) .... D !

Thanks

Pho

Regards,

Pho
Dilshad Marikar
Ranch Hand

I choose blue shirt guy O, because he has a big forehead that looks close enough to slap.
Shreyas Reddy
Ranch Hand

I would vote for M:Supersize Me
For some reason that picture made me feel - learning design patterns from this book as as coooooool as eating out in fast food place.
Nigel Browne
Ranch Hand

My process of elimination starts with the thought; what was on the cover of the previous books? The answer being images of men, therefore I think it would be a refreshing change to have a female on the cover this time round. Thus all the images of men are ruled out (Sorry Guys).
Supersize girl gets ruled out next because junk food is not good food you, even tough we all love it. The girls d,g,i,l and n go next because they don't have obvious patterns on there clothing.
So now I am down to A:Flower girl, E: Blonde with stripes and K: Snowboard Girl.
Flower Girl although very beautiful seem to be standing in a slightly guarded stance, just doesn't look relaxed enough. Snowboard Girl has shades on so although looking cool, can we really trust her if we cant see the whites of her eyes.
This leaves me with a winner E: Blonde with stripes. She is attractive, smiling and standing in a relaxed pose. She has the added bonus of wearing a striped pattern. The message this image sends to me is 'Hey, I read the book, I am confident I can apply the knowledge gained and it was fun'. What more could you ask from a front cover image ?
Nigel Browne
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Kathy Sierra:

Sadly, we can't pull off the mud wrestling thing in time for the Design Patterns book, though. But I'll let you speculate on the kinds of pictures you might have to choose from for our *next* book cover contest...

cheers,
Kathy

I quite like the idea of someone having wrestled through the mire before becoming enlightened. Other images along these lines would a lost tourist being shown the way by a friendly stranger or an astronaut floating in space being helped by his lifeline.

p.s What is the *next* book going to be about ?
Warren Dew
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Helen Crosbie:

To try to please even more people than by picking one picture, couldn't you have a Do-It-Yourself cover?

Hey, there's an idea. Be like those novels that get published with multiple covers - publish 16 different printings, one with each cover. Then when it comes time to reprint, reprint the most popular covers.

Best of all, with 16 apparently-different books, you can grab enough shelf space to push all the competing books to the bottom of the bookcase, plus people who really need to know about design patterns might buy all 16, thinking they are different books!
David Ulicny
Ranch Hand

I'll vote for "J:Black Shirt Guy". He looks happy. He must not spent hours in finding bugs and catching Exceptions because he is using design patterns and produce perfect code.

SCJP<br />SCWCD <br />ICSD(286)<br />MCP 70-216
Ben Poole
Ranch Hand

Well it has to be "C" - Mr. Oh -- 'cause he looks like someone who finally got it.

Which is what patterns are all about eh?
[ September 08, 2004: Message edited by: Ben Poole ]

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: You Choose the Head First Cover--essays