• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How are session IDs generated?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I assume they are a hash of something, but does anyone know more about the algorithm? Like which pieces of information go into the hash, and within which timeframe IDs could conveivably collide? Any links are appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Ulf

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why not look at the Tomcat source code?
Bill

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know, the source is my friend. But I was hoping that someone had more insight, or had done the source-spelunking already.

Edited later: The session ID is a 16 byte random number, run thorough a digest (MD5 by default), and then converted to Hex.
[ August 01, 2005: Message edited by: Ulf Dittmer ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
just being curious. lets say several users (user A, B, C, D and E) interacted with server.
and then, the server is restarted, so all sessions are all destroyed.
then comes user F and F also got new session. my question is, is it possible the newly generated session id to be the same as sessions still retained by user A - E?
if it is, then this would be a security breach as user other than F theoretically will have access to F's data.
is this the case with tomcat?
thanks

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, the default behavior for recent versions of Tomcat if the server is restarted is that the sessions persist over the restart (they're stored in the work directory as ".ser" files).

The sessionid-generating algorithm, like all hash algorithms can potentially come up with an identical ID, but the whole point of designing the algorithm is to minimize that possibility. I like Brockschmidt's quote about the chances of 2 GUIDs generating the same as "about as likely a a bunch of atoms out in space suddenly rushing together to form a small walnut".

Incidentally, if you switch from normal to SSL security in Tomcat, the session remains, but the old jsessionID is discarded and a brand-new one is generated. It still refers to the same session, but that way people cannot tap into secured communications using the unsecured handle that was public visible (unencrypted) - it's no longer attached to anything.

I miss the old days when I would think up a sinister scheme for world domination and you would show a little emotional support. So just look at this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic