• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat again - load exception for jsp servlet on startup

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Got back to working on Tomcat again after several day's haitus. The last problem is gone but now Tomcat is encountering a new one: On startup,
Tomcat seems to successfully go through the first part of its starup routine - it deploys the JAR files in its own WEB-INF/library directory to my site's library directory, then it starts following the script in the web.xml file in its own directory, and successfully loads something called container servlet default and container servlet invoker. Then it gets hung up trying to load the JSP servlet. I get the following error message in the error log:

StandardWrapper[:jsp]: Marking servlet jsp as unavailable
StandardContext[]: Servlet threw load() exception: javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet class org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet
javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet class org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet

The script in the web.xml file related to this is:

<servlet>
<servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
<init-param>
<param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
<param-value>WARNING</param-value>
</init-param>
<load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

The comment lines above it state:

"The JSP page compiler and execution servlet, which is the mechanism used by Tomcat to support JSP pages. Traditionally, this servlet is mapped to URL patterh "*.jsp". This servlet supports the following initialization parameters (default values are in square brackets:"
Then it goes on to give a bunch of initialization parameters.

I have not been able to find any answers to the same problem using Google, etc. There was one post on this site at https://coderanch.com/t/81863/Tomcat/WEB-INF-breaking-Context-root
where someone prevented a similar load error by removing another file called servlet.jar (or preventing it from being deployed) in
his web.xml file. But that error wasn't occuring on startup.

For what it's worth I'm running Tomcat 4 on Linux.

Jaime Lannister
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Something I forgot to mention. I searched for anything called "jsp.class" or "jsp.java" using the find command, but found nothing. I did find several files called "jsp.*" or "*jsp.*" with different beginnings and endings, such as several "jsp.vim" files and a few "jsptoservlet.jsp" files. Still, doesn't the error message imply that the offending servlet is there, but something has gone wrong in loading it???

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic