• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat capacity question?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My company is considering using Tomcat 6 as a webserver to host an online database application.

My boss has asked me to research if there are any any implications on server loading for Tomcat hosting large numbers of products.

I've done some searching on the net but cant find a suitable answer?

The spec of the server machine is:
CPU = 2 x Intel Xeon processors, 3.2 GHz, 2 MB cache, 800 MHz
Memory = 4 GB ECC DDR2 400

Storage = 2 x 250 GB SATA hard drives, 7200 rpm (hosted from hardware RAID controller) + 73 GB Boot disk

Graphics = 1 x GeForce� EN7950GT PCI Express graphics card 512 MB

Network = 2 x Intel� PRO/1000 MT Gigabit Server Adapter

We will be using the latest versions of Tomcat, Java and SQL

Im really sorry if that isn't enough info, if there's anything else needed please let me know

thank you for your help

Pete

Peter John Jones
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please can somebody help

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I remember, a while back, there was a fellow named Peter Lin, who did a lot testing and benchmarking for Tomcat. He often published his findings and/or reported them back to the tomcat-users and tomcat-dev mailing lists.
I'm not sure if he or anyone else is still doing this.

Try a Google search with the following string:
Tomcat Peter Lin
and see if it gets you pointed in the right direction.

(Of course, I'm not suggesting that you rush out and try to contact this person directly; to do so would be rude. I'm just suggesting that you use his name in your Google searches because he was/is involved in a lot of the Tomcat performance and metrics discussions)
[ March 20, 2007: Message edited by: Ben Souther ]

Hooplehead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I came across Filip Hanik's recent blog post on Tomcat scaling vs. Glassfish and Jetty a few minutes ago and thought of this thread. Hope this helps.

Stu
[ March 22, 2007: Message edited by: Stu Thompson ]

Peter John Jones
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thats great, thanks for the help Ben and Stu

Peter John Jones
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've just spoken to my boss and the previous answers have answered his concerns over the number of connections Tomcat can handle under stress. Im still unable to find any information about data capacity. If i try and explain alittle better, we are trying to find out if there is alimit to how many products Tomcat can store providing we have unlimited drive space. (A Product could be anything, word document, jpeg, mp3 etc). We're worried if 10,000+ products are stored could Tomcat handle this and if so how would performance be drastically affected.

Thanks for your time guys

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

how many products Tomcat can store providing we have unlimited drive space.

Number of products has absolutely nothing to do with the servlet engine and everything to do with the back end that manages access to the products data.
Tomcat will work with any database you care to use as long as it has JDBC drivers. The way you design and use your database will be the most significant bottleneck.
Bill

Stu Thompson
Hooplehead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter John Jones:
...if there is alimit to how many products Tomcat can store providing we have unlimited drive space. (A Product could be anything, word document, jpeg, mp3 etc). We're worried if 10,000+ products are stored could Tomcat handle this and if so how would performance be drastically affected.

If I understand you correctly, which I am not sure if I do because the question seems unusual, you are asking how many files a tomcat server could potentially serve up. To that specific question, the answer is "practically unlimited". Tomcat does not "pre-load" any static files for serving up, it does not scan the non application files (files in the webapp but not in WEB-INF) or any such thing. In fact, I cannot think of any web server where this would not be true.

Beyond that, like if you have logic behind each request, well that is a matter of application design and implementation...and the the limiting factor is you

Would you like to try a free sample? Today we are featuring tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic