• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Out Of The Box to Secure Site

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Are there labs that explain how I could feel confident that I wouldn't be hacked in the book? That's going to be my charge, and frankly I'm quaking, since I'm a developer, not a server admin. Usually increasing security means turning off, deleting, etc, things I'm not using, but I've not done any of that... just did the password on the admin console... that was in the JBoss docs, that's it. I'd like to have someone else to blame ;-) if things go wrong. Good news, though, nothing interesting or valuable at all at the site, so we'll likely be overlooked.

--Dale--

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Read chapter 9: Rolling Out JBoss. It will show you how to secure a JBoss instance and get it ready to be rolled out in production. That doesn't guarantee your OS is secure and it doesn't guarantee your application isn't faulty. But, it should help you make sure your JBoss instance is correctly secured.

Dale Seng
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks. I downloaded it. Lots of references to earlier chapters, but hopefully I can work through those (or win the book here, ha!). I'd buy it myself, but my employer really should be the one to buy it. My employers is so cheap (how cheap are they?), they are so cheap that they refused to pay $20 for headphones to drown out the fifty 70's songs they play over and over and over and over, day after day, week after week. Now I know what hell would be for me: 7/24 Bee Gees. But I digress.

--Dale--

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dale, have you considered starting to wear Bee Gee's t-shirts to work in hopes that they'd switch the music into something else*?

Who knows, reverse psychology might work

[* = like the Beach Boys]

Dale Seng
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ha! Child psychology with HR. You gotta love it!

Why am I so drawn to cherry pie? I can't seem to stop. Save me tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic