• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

In USA, any famous (good) java conference besides Java One ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In USA, any famous (good) java conference besides "Java One" ?

thanks,
yifan

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good question. I live in the northeast and it gets cold here in the winter. Somebody would be smart to have a Java conference in a warm state like Florida sometime in December, January or February.

I'll bet a lot of northerners would go just to escape the cold.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am from Florida.

It is cold in Dec, Jan, Feb, .....

Guy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not like it was in London tonight. I walked home from the movies. Ever hear the phrase 'Colder than Charity'?

There seems to be a real shortage of Java conferences out there. Particularly in Europe. There is one in Belgium in December and that's about it except for vendor conventions. I'm absolutely shocked there is nothing in London, and almost as shocked that there exists no Java One - Europe. I think it's a result of the lousy jobs market lately. Lot's of us are (were?) unemployed and those who were working had small budgets. Java One (and most commercial conferences) aren't cheap.

I suggest you have a look at the 'No Fluff, Just Stuff' 3-day weekend conferences. There seems to be at least a couple a month in various localities. Also an Annual Open Source conference which look great. Maybe next year.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Don Stadler:
Not like it was in London tonight. I walked home from the movies. Ever hear the phrase 'Colder than Charity'?

Ha. People say that, but normally we'd be looking at temps in the 5-10 range and highs in the low 20s around this time of year. It's unusually warm this week, though. Right now it's a warm sunny 26 outside and I'm going to go out and take a postprandial perambulation, since they think 20 is "warm" in the office.

Although the thermometer reads higher here in Winter than it does further North, it's amazing the number of people I know who sweat they've felt warmer in Chicago.

Don't let Guy kid you. It's also been known to get a little nippy in March, April and May.

Wierdest weather I ever saw was when a windstorm came tearing up the state (and several other ones), ripping apart signs and tearing the fruit off my bananna trees. It was March 10, and there were snow flurries in that wind.

In order to even get banannas to set fruit, you have to go 18 months without a freeze. And in North Florida that's only about once every decade or so.

OTOH, while I've seen a picture of a coconut tree growing in Ireland, I've never seen one grow in Florida north of Palm Beach.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try out the No Fluff, Just Stuff Symposiums.

I went to the first one in Denver and really liked it.
I have a friend who comes in from Omaha for the one we have here.
There are two every year in Denver, but I only go to the Fall one.
Other cities also have two events - some just have one.

Here's the URL:
http://www.nofluffjuststuff.com/symposiums/past.jsp

They are held in Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, Salt Lake, Columbus, Austin, Toronto, Phoenix, Durham, Broomfield/Denver, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, San Diego and Philadelphia.

They're nice because they're all technical.
Some of the current and past speakers are: Dion Almaer, Erik Hatcher, James Duncan Davidson, Mike Clark, Bruce Tate, Dave Thomas, Mike Cohn, Stuart Halloway, Jason Hunter, Glen Vanderburg and Matt Raible.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have a look at http://jaxconf.com/

JAX is Europe's premier Java Conference series, and it is running for the first time in the US this June.

Let me know what you think!

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And of course there is The Server Side Java Symposium

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rick Portugal wrote:Good question. I live in the northeast and it gets cold here in the winter. Somebody would be smart to have a Java conference in a warm state like Florida sometime in December, January or February.

I'll bet a lot of northerners would go just to escape the cold.

wonderfull answer....

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic