• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to plan for testing project?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Now, i'm developing web application and i want to plan for testing my project BUT i don't know how to plan for testing ?

please tell me , How to plan for testing my project?

Thank you very much.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don't plan. Test.

What I'm trying to say is that you probably don't need to plan in advance what you're going to test. In most cases, it's quite obvious.

Are there any specific parts in your web application that you'd like to test and don't quite know how?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Consider the following things when testing a Web-enabled application:

1) Who are the archetypal users? What are their goals?
2) Who will I test the system for functionality? This answers the basic question: Does it work?
3) Is the datacenter running the application ready for production? Will it handle the number of concurrent users I am forecasting?
4) Does the application perform functions fast enough to satistify the archetypal users?
5) How will I monitor the service to make certain the functionality still works?

Think of the above 5 questions as chapter headers in a test plan. If you can answer these questions then you will have the plan in your hands!

Good luck.

-Frank

P.S. There is a lot of help for you on testing Web-enabled applications at PushToTest.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
What I'm trying to say is that you probably don't need to plan in advance what you're going to test. In most cases, it's quite obvious.

I agree that you don't need to plan in advance what you're going to test. But I think it is good to come up with a strategy/process. Especially if testing isn't always followed in your organization.

It could be high-level, like you plan to write unit tests and integration tests using JUnit. You should consider testign the back end and front end separately. Also, you many need/want to include stress testing and performance testing.

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeanne Boyarsky:
I agree that you don't need to plan in advance what you're going to test. But I think it is good to come up with a strategy/process. Especially if testing isn't always followed in your organization.

I agree. I was talking about "planning" as in "planning test cases", not as in "planning the testing process".

somkiat puisungnoen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you , i MUST do that.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:

I am sorry to say, but I have to disagree with you Lasse. Not knowing what you're going to test means in a way you don't know what are the system requirements. I see here a very strict relation: the requirements describes perfectly the tests.

./pope

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ali Pope:
Not knowing what you're going to test means in a way you don't know what are the system requirements. I see here a very strict relation: the requirements describes perfectly the tests.

Exactly. Which is why you don't need to plan -- the high level list of things you need to test is right there in the requirements, be it a formal .doc file, a bunch of index cards, or a mental picture in someone's head.

Alexandru Popescu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Now I am happy that we agreed on this ;-).

./pope

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic