• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

New to UML, need tool suggestion

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone.
I am new to UML and was wondering what everyone is using.
Recently I saw a demo of Togethersoft's Control Center, which I thought looked excellent.
What are you using, and what do you recommend.
Thanks
Dan

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are a number of tools out there. Togethersoft is good because the low end product is free. :-) JVision is also pretty good, especially given it's price. Rational Rose is a commonly used at many companies.
--Mark
hershey@vaultus.com

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have used Rational Rose 2000e and found it to be extremely good.However, when I was new to UML, I stayed away from tools to get into the habbit of learning to draw the UML artifacts myself.Once I got reasonable confidence in it, I started using Rational.
Hope this helps,
Sandeep

Ranch Hand
Android Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have used JVision, Rational, and Together Control Center. While Rational and Together have lots-o-features, I like JVision because it's simple yet I can effectively create the diagrams I want.
One thing that I find irritating in Rational, is that it takes a couple of minutes to start up (on a Pentium 866 with 512 RAM, without any other applications open!). Also, it seems to take quite a while to save models, etc. Installation sucked also. A big 'ol red flag for me was the Installation Manual. If you have to write a frickin manual just to install the tool...
The only "rational" reason the company I work for chose Rational, is because it was cheaper than Together. I think you only get what you pay for. (OK, I'm done ranting.)
[This message has been edited by Glen Tanner (edited July 26, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Everyone,
I am just about to start using UML tools. can someone suggest me websites from where I can get the latest Downloads for FREE. Also suggestions for which tool to be used. In continuation to the above discussion, I am thinking of going for rationalRose , (just because it seems to have become famous) , but I am not sure if its freely available. If not which one`s are freely available?
Regards,
Milan Doshi

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have been working on Rational Rose for a year now. Actually that was not my choice, my clients were using those. I know one that reverse engineering feature in TogetherJ is very good compared to Rational Rose.
Our Rational Rose was slow while loading , then we changed .mdl (reduced the size) with one with only need stuff for that Iteration.
A cool (in-expensive) tool for UML Modeling. Worth trying
it out. http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/
Thanks
Sanjay

Daniel Dunleavy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Guys for the input