• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

UML Tool "code generation"

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Has anyone ever used the "code generation" in UML tools? I am wondering if the generated code does help and save labor. Thanks.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ugh. The idea of code generation from UML makes my flesh creep. At its best UML is a way to share ideas between people. In no way is UML syntactically or semantically precise enough to generate sensible code.
All the UML editors with code-generation capability that I have seen all require you to clumsily add lots of non-standard information to your UML "models" so that it can know enough to even generate basic class and method definitions for you. And requiring that these UML models include every class and object in your system make them far to unwieldy, slow and (worst of all) incomprehensible.
I read somewhere that a good UML diagram should have no more than 5-9 items on it. That way it stands a good chance of being described and understood by most people. Expecting to generate usable code from a diagram like that seems crazy.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Only want to mention that I totally agree with Frank...

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic