• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Class and Sequence Diagrams

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,

I am new to Java and this forum as well. I heard a lot about the book "Head first Java" and am gonna start reading it from Monday. The book's gonna come only on Monday .I've noticed that one of the same authors moderates this forum so I've joined it and this is my first post in this forum.

Coming to my question,

I am trying to do high level documentation for a client-server ftp application and I was wondering if the class/sequence diagrams should be just one or should it be two. One for the client and one for the server? Also, any comments on how to build some nice diagrams and using which tools are welcome.

Thanks.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Welcome to JavaRanch!

First, a bit of business: you may not have read our naming policy on the way in. It requires that you use a full, real (sounding) first and last name for your display name. Nicknames and "handles" don't cut it here. You can change your display name here. Thanks!

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I've noticed that one of the same authors moderates this forum so I've joined it and this is my first

You are more likely to encounter Bert in the Java in General (beginner), Mobile Application Certification (SCMAD), Programmer Certification (SCJP), Bunkhouse Porch and Teachers Lounge forums.

I am trying to do high level documentation for a client-server ftp application and I was wondering if the class/sequence diagrams should be just one or should it be two. One for the client and one for the server?

Do what is necessary to communicate your "message". If the issue is to illustrate events on the either the server or the client then only stay in that context otherwise show both. I suspect that you will need at least one diagram that shows the exchange between the client and the server without any "object details". If you need to go to a lower level of detail you are looking at two more diagrams one for the server and one for the client that may show the object level where the high-level exchanges are modeled as external events. Using only two diagrams without the higher-level mapping may make things more difficult for your audience than it needs to be.

https://coderanch.com/t/100656/patterns/make-Architecture-Diagram#000001

Also, any comments on how to build some nice diagrams and using which tools are welcome.

If you like the Head First Series then you may be interested in Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design

Also have a look at the other titles listed under Design Books, UML References.

For tools have a look under UML Tools.

Arjun Reddy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I apologize for my silliness and thanks to all those who replied back.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic