• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What J2EE Design Patterns remains applicable for JEE ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey everyone,

I'm SCBCD and SCWCD certified and just passed the SCEA 5 beta multiple choice exam. I can find myself when talking about J2EE APIs (EJB and Servlet containers) and in my opinion J2EE Design Patters aren't the Holy Grail (in fact I don't like both first and second editions of Core J2EE Patterns) but some of patterns are very much applicable like Data Access Object, Front Controller and so on.

I've started studying more deeply JEE 5 some months ago and I got a good understanding about how new things fit together so it is clear that the JCP did a good work fixing some problems in earlier J2EE platform. Based on the former problems the J2EE patterns were released giving standardized workarounds for overcoming such problems.
Just to mention a few (in my opinion) we have:
  • Composite Entity: workaround for dealing with performance problems in working with fine grained Entity EJBs
  • Value List Handler: an option that tries to overcome the poor performance and funcionality given by EJB find/select methods
  • Service Locator: was outdated by the current dependency injection mechanism provided by JEE 5 servlet and EJB containers.

• So I was expecting to see some kind of update on the Sun's J2EE Design Patterns catalog but after some time that the specs were released, I didn't find any update on Sun's website. I even start to think why is that in terms of loose of interest by Sun on Java platform but...

Just to finish I would like to know if someone knows something about Sun's Design Patterns update or something related to it and even if my understanding about the way Sun's Design Patterns got impacted is ok.

In my oppinion it is very valuable to have those published in order to standardize the way Java developers deal with problems which can help a lot when a Java person switches from one project to another.

Waiting for your comments..

Thanks
    [ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Rodrigo Malara ]

Bartender
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    The patterns that you no longer care about are J2EE specific patterns that get around the idiosyncrasies of the J2EE platform. The ones that you still care about are enterprise patterns that have relevance even outside of the Java Enterprise platform. Time to look at Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture (PoEAA) and Domain Driven Design � Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software.

author
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I haven't yet read "Domain Driven Design", but I can second the recommendation for PoEEA.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Service Locator is still useful if there is a demand for connectiong RMI or Web Service and other remote services. I think it's an extension of GoF proxy pattern. Also ValueListHandler can be used in other circumstance except for caching the DAO result set.

For composite entity, I think it's sort of out-of-date since GoF Composite pattern is more accurate and generic

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic