• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse won't build/run because it's "missing VM"

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy. I updated my J2SE today, and put it in a different directory from where the old version was. When I try build/running an app in Eclipse (3.0.1), it gives me this error: "Specified VM install not found: type Standard VM, name J2SDK 1.4.2.03".

I've added the new SDK in Preferences>Java>Installed JREs, and the new JRE that it installs automatically in 'C:\Programs Files'. Neither make it work. I've even deleted the eclipse folder, and downloaded it over and put it back, same thing. Any help please? Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You might try going to the properties of the project you're trying to build, then going to 'Java Build Path'/ Libraries tab. If you edit the JRE system library choice under there you can point to alternate JREs. hope this helps..

Stan Smith
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I did that as well. I even created a new project, and tried running it with all the JREs installe don my system, but it just complains.

Actually I just found a workaround. I made a copy of the JRE tot he folder where the old one was, started Eclipse, and rechanged again all the LIbrary references to the new JRE. Then I closed it, deleted the folder with the "old JRE. After I started Eclipse, it didn't give me any problems. I guess it just likes to be "consulted first" when you're deleting a JRE from the system. Delete references to it in Eclipse, then you can uninstall it from your system.
[ December 22, 2004: Message edited by: Stan Smith ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Stan,

I had the same problem.

What you have to do is
open the Run>External Tools>External Tools... Dialog
Select your build configuration in the tree on the left