• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Lomboz plug-in not discussed in the Eclipse Kick Start

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm wondering why the book does not discuss Lomboz JSP plug-in for JSP editor, which is very popular among Eclipse users.

I found out that MyEclipse is discussed in the book, but it is not free for us to play around with... Could you shed us some light on why you use MyEclipse in discussing about the J2EE development topic in your book? Thank you very much....

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ko Ko Naing:
I'm wondering why the book does not discuss Lomboz JSP plug-in for JSP editor, which is very popular among Eclipse users.

I found out that MyEclipse is discussed in the book, but it is not free for us to play around with... Could you shed us some light on why you use MyEclipse in discussing about the J2EE development topic in your book? Thank you very much....

I used to use the Lomboz plug-in quite a bit before MyEclipse hit the streets. Lomboz was nice at the time, but fell behind for a while. Once I stopped using it and began using MyEclipse I have not gone back. I look at plug-ins all the time so I try to restrict how many I look at or else i would be drowning in them!

Anyway, MyEclipse is free to use for 30 days so you should have a decent time period to try it out. I have been a happy subscriber for 2 years.

Also, do not take any of the above to mean that Lomboz is not a good plug-in. When I used it the plug-in was quite impressive.

Carlos
[ February 08, 2005: Message edited by: Carlos Valcarcel ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I do not mean to contradict the author but Lomboz must be uptodate as it became the WebTools contribution along with IBM web tools as a full eclispe project in the IDE downlaods since IDE version 3.0..

Its one of the reasons I switched to Eclipse from Netbeans as its really all the way free..

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Fred Grott:
I do not mean to contradict the author but Lomboz must be uptodate as it became the WebTools contribution along with IBM web tools as a full eclispe project in the IDE downlaods since IDE version 3.0..

Do u mean that Lomboz was integrated to the main Eclipse editor? If I am not wrong, Eclipse 3.0.0 release needs JSP plug-in to be used with... But I am not quite sure about the releases after that...

Thanks...

Carlos Valcarcel
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Fred Grott:

Its one of the reasons I switched to Eclipse from Netbeans as its really all the way free..

Feel free to contradict me! I am wrong so often I wonder how I get any work done.

My original work with Lomboz was a while ago. While it is true that Lomboz has been contributed to the Web Tools project (and I am really looking forward to it), it did fall behind compared to plug-ins like MyEclipse. Have they caught up? I don't know, but I hope so because I fully intend to move to the Web Tools plug-in when it comes together!

Carlos

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic