• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse: Managing classpath in CVS

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We are developing a Java project that uses several different extarnal jars (like jdom.jar). The different developers all have different folder structure, so it is not possible to place the jars in the same folder everywhere.

The problem is that when someone unintentionally checks in their .classpath file, it creates a mess when others check out. How can we tell Eclipse not to download the .project and the .classpath files, or better, not to check them in in the first place?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes that is a problem..

I imgine tha tif you had soem type of filter to exlcude .project and .classpath, that woudl wokr..

Lets see since you only see .project and .classpath when not in the Java persepctive.. why not a file filter on all non jva perspectives in Eclipse??

That way becasue they never see it is does not get uploaded to cvs

Up till now I did not realize the solution either..thanks for providing me with the idea

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To keep files out of CVS, create a file named ".cvsignore" in the directory in question. Eclipse can do this for you automatically (see the Team menu).

But my experience is that it's perilous to try and keep utility libraries separate from the project if you want to maintain long-term rebuildability.

I know it takes up more space, but I finally gave up and now keep copies of the appropriate versions of the jakarta, jdom and other libraries in either the lib or webapp/web/WEB-INF/lib folders so that a CVS checkout from scratch stands at least a halfway decent chance of building without going on an extended treasure hunt.

Another alternative is to take advantage of the excellent symbolic reference capabilities Eclipse offers. I do this for TOMCAT_HOME-based libraries, since I don't consider it proper to extract them from their proper environment.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic