• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why Build Project [JPad]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for reading this post. Not sure if this is the right place but it said beginner. Attempting to self teaching java programming after 15yrs of Cobol on a BigBlue box. Hello World compiles and runs...within JPad. Why would I want to build a project? Is it necessary?

Maybe this is a "windows" based programming question not limited to java. Any references to consice material or an explanation of the "build" process and why it is useful is appreciated.

[added JPad to subject - Ilja]
[ April 24, 2005: Message edited by: Ilja Preuss ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
what do you mean by "a project"? what, for that matter, is JPad?

the canonical answer is that it's better to start out learning Java using nothing but a simple text editor and the command-line compiler; IDEs suchlike can wait for later. in the beginning, they're likely to do too much of the work for you.

that said, a text editor advanced enough that it can do automatic indenting and possibly syntax highlighting makes the work of learning easier. i like TextPad on windows, and vim on Unix/Linux, but tastes do differ.

Rook Ee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I thought JPad was a simple IDE...freeware from Modelworks. Anyway in the JDK pull down menu (within Jpad) the next option underneath compile is to "build". I am thinking this is some sort of configuration management tool that is trying to organize individual components of an application through the development cycle. Components like source code, include files, executables. Have to confess I am not sure what I mean by "project" thats the purpose of my post to learn what it is and why I would want to build one. Thxs.

FYI...I did the notepad thing first before I moved on to the IDE

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have no idea what JPad means by build in contrast to compile. As this isn't standard java terminology, moving to IDEs forum...

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rook Ee,

Is that your real name? It seems too much like Rookie. We have a naming policy to use your real first and last name. You can click on My Profile link above and change it.

Thanks

Mark

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic