• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Netbeans (and IDEs) as a crutch

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Loaded NetBeans and walked through a tutorial.
I just put together a GUI to see how it worked.
To the people who know IDEs, is this going to hurt me?

I can write and have a decent general knowledge of Java and OOP design. I'm not still at "Hello World" but have never built a full blown app. I keep hearing that once you conquer "HW" you should move on to an IDE, but its PAINFULLY easy to see how you can use it as a crutch.

I had a working GUI together in minutes, yet wasn't once REQUIRED to actually touch code. When I finally looked at it, I realized how much of it I hadn't mastered. I'm not hesitant to go back and learn what it did for me, but damn, that was easy.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I typically don't use IDEs as GUI builders, I handcode them. I haven't yet found an IDE that can generate GUI code I actually would want to maintain. And in fact, handcoding a GUI isn't that hard either, if you have some experience.

Still I heavily depend on my IDE of choice, Eclipse. It simply provides so many usefull tools to handle the code, that I would be orders of magnitude less productive without it. Think automated refactorings, automated fixes for compilation errors, code analysis and navigation etc. pp.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic