• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Intellij IDEA running at 98% cpu

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I am using Intellij IDEA as my IDE and my application runs on Resin -3.0.9
I hve this problem of IDEA running at 98% - 99% cpu usage now & then because of this my m/c hangs.I hve to go the Task manager & stop the process & then restart idea all over again which is a big pain.

Does anybody know wht the problem is ? I hve already re-installed IDEA but of no use.It still behaves the same way.Please can anybody help.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know what a m/c is, but I assume it's some sort of toy computer. Have a look at this document when you have a chance.

IDEA doesn't do very well when you ask it to do certain tasks on very large files; reformatting them, for example, or even simply parsing and hilighting them if memory is tight and the file is very large. You can edit the batch file that starts IDEA to give IDEA more memory, and that might help, but the best suggestion is just to make your classes smaller. Classes that are big enough to choke IDEA are really crying out to be refactored.

kudla ty
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry Ernest,for having used short forms...I am a junior java developer & am used to writing like that.Will definetly try to avoid them.

Now coming back to my problem,most of my classes are 300 - 400 lines long.Is tht too big for idea to handle.You mentioned about a batch file...which one is it ?

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
300-400 lines isn't too bad, no.

I use IDEA on Linux, so I can't tell you exactly what to configure on Windows. Anybody?

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IntelliJ and Eclipse are noteable for periodically taking time out to do massive garbage collection operations (at least if you're running under Sun's JDK).

I had this issue compounded because some genius put a defective error-detection in the background on my desktop.

If your pain coincides with the times when the sliding bar in the lower right-hand corner of the window is active, the solution is IBM (Install Bigger Memory). This may correspond with a lot of light blinking on your disk drive as Virtual Memory starts thrashing.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Tim Holloway:
IntelliJ and Eclipse are noteable for periodically taking time out to do massive garbage collection operations (at least if you're running under Sun's JDK).

I had this issue compounded because some genius put a defective error-detection in the background on my desktop.

If your pain coincides with the times when the sliding bar in the lower right-hand corner of the window is active, the solution is IBM (Install Bigger Memory). This may correspond with a lot of light blinking on your disk drive as Virtual Memory starts thrashing.

Do you run a different JVM for your IntelliJ?

Mark

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:

Do you run a different JVM for your IntelliJ?

Mark

No. But I know IBM has spent a lot of time working with gc mechanisms, so it's possible that people who are using an IBM JVM might not see this behaviour.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic