• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Sun Java Studio Enterprise & Oracle JDeveloper 10g

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I would just like your opinions on Sun Java Studio Enterprise & Oracle JDeveloper 10g. I would like to use one of these products and am looking developing applications with Java for Oracle. Really quite new to developing java applications and only just got past the basic's but looking ahead I would like to get into a career with both Oracle and Java thus the question about which is better. I would like to start using either of these as soon as possible as this will enable me to continue to more advanced java with an IDE that is a bit more advanced.

Thanx

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
By far, the most widely used Java IDE is Eclipse (www.eclipse.org). There are others at least as popular as the ones you listed, if not more: Borland's JBuilder, and Sun's NetBeans (is JSE based on this? I'm not sure.) There is also IntelliJ IDEA, which, IMHO, is better than all of these. But of course that's a flame war waiting to happen.

My point is, anyway, that you've chosen an odd little corner of parameter space for yourself as far as what IDEs are worth considering. There are other, arguably better choices, and certainly more popular choices.

I'm going to move this thread to our "IDEs, Version Control, and Other Tools" forum, where other people will gladly offer their own opinions.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Hilton,

If you're developing in Java for Oracle, then JDeveloper is great. I've worked with a much older version than the current 10.1.3 and even back in the day (Oracle 8i) it made life very easy if you were developing Java stored procedures to be deployed into the database. The wizard to set up the method stubs for the PLSQL to Java bridge, generate the correct parameter types and calling scope, etc, was very easy to use and saved a tremendous amount of hassle. The deployment process is (or at least was) a major pain to do manually and I would guess that you'd still be facing this struggle if using most other IDEs. Also other IDEs may not allow you to embed SQL (including elements native to Oracle, hints etc) in your code - another nifty feature.

I love NetBeans and use it for almost everything these days but for tight integration with Oracle I'd be back with JDeveloper in a snap. Besides the new 10.1.3 is up to date with the newest Java 1.5 features, and the price is right if you just want to play around with it and learn what it can do without deploying commercial apps.

Having said that, I haven't used Sun's JSE it may also be a winner. But NetBeans, Eclipse, IDEA, etc.. they're great to work with and excellent IDEs in their own right but they don't have the Oracle specific features that you're probably after.

Hope that helps!

Sun's NetBeans (is JSE based on this? I'm not sure.)

Yep, it is.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When comparing JDeveloper and Sun studio creator, Jdeveloper will be my choice. i have bee using it for the last 1.5 years with much ease. It makes life more easy if you are using oracle as back end.
More over in builtApp server is there.................. i dont know if this is the case with Sun studio creator.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic