• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

eclipse and Ant (fundamental question)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am new to eclipse IDE. Suppose I want to write a j2ee application, I have some ejb, servlet and jsp and web.xml, etc. and I want to create a .EAR file with standard struture. First I need to create a "Project" in IDE, then I put those code in some "src" folder, now here are my questions ---

1. I need some .jar files to compile the package, should I include these .jar in IDE's classpath, or should I write a separate build.xml to include them and run this build.xml like "ANT" ?

2. Can I do some mapping to "transfer" the generated .class files into certain location that the application server can get ? or does this have to be done by using ANT ?

3. Eclipse doesn't automatically give users a build.xml, right ? This file has to be created by user, is that right ?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by ben oliver:
1. I need some .jar files to compile the package, should I include these .jar in IDE's classpath, or should I write a separate build.xml to include them and run this build.xml like "ANT" ?

None of the above. You should add them to your project's build path (in the project properties). This should be explained in Eclipse's online help.

2. Can I do some mapping to "transfer" the generated .class files into certain location that the application server can get ? or does this have to be done by using ANT ?

There are plugins that configure application servers to directly work on the class files generated by Eclipse. What server are you using?

3. Eclipse doesn't automatically give users a build.xml, right ? This file has to be created by user, is that right ?

If you need one, you need to write it manually. But if you don't need to build the project outside of Eclipse, you don't need a build.xml.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic