• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IDEA question - templates

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Dmitry,

I'm a big fan of live and file templates to speed things up but I do find one annoying thing - the exposure of code.

For example, the file template for an overridden method is
$CALL_SUPER;

In my company, the convention for documenting overridden or abstract methods that don't require further documentation is to just add
// javadoc inherited
before the method declaration.

As far as I know, this can't be automated in IDEA. I've checked the config directory to see if the Velocity templates contain more than is seen in the IDE but that's not the case.

Is it possible to open up the templates further?

Thanks,
Steve
[ December 01, 2006: Message edited by: Steve Chaloner ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Steve,

The possibilities for customizing the generated code are indeed limited. The problem is that for many cases (equals() and getHashCode() for one) there's quite a lot of intelligent processing performed by IntelliJ IDEA internally, and it's not clear how the results of this processing could be exposed to the Velocity templates. We do plan to provide better customization possibilities, but this may end up as a replacement and not an extension of the current file templates system.

Yeah, but does being a ninja come with a dental plan? And what about this tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic