• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

visual programming for web pages

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a question about using IDEs for visual programming with dynamic pages- i.e JSPs. I use MyEclipse, which has Matisse4Eclipse. This is an excellent tool for visual programming with SWT for desktop applications. My quiestion is, are there any IDEs or even Eclipse plugins that simplify this process for working with HTML, css, javascript? MyEclipse has some form component features, but these are not very detailed (compared to Matisse)

I'm relatively new to web programming, so I guess there must be some tools out there. How about Dreamweaver? can it do it( drag and drop- to create css, javascript etc)?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In my experience there isn't a single "visual" editor for web pages that does even a halfway decent job at producing more than marginal code.

Almost universally the code they produce is a disaster. Extremely fragile, way too much code for the job, impossible to maintain, etc. etc.
A properly handcrafted page takes about the same time to make (and for an experienced person likely less), is far easier to maintain, performs better on the client, is less buggy (I've seen generated pages so bad they caused not just the client browser to crash but their entire PCs), and reduces network bandwidth use dramatically (in my experience generated pages are in general several times larger than handwritten pages, sometimes more than 10 times the size).

kwame Iwegbue
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you so much Jeroen for your reply. Thats what I thought. If thats the case, then why the heck does Dreamweaver cost $400.00!

Jeroen T Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
because marketing means presenting your product to the right people (meaning people with no technical skills) and those people are often more inclined to believe that a product is good if it's expensive.

I've seen that in action several times (and heard more stories from reps I talked with for various tool suppliers), managers (especially those at large corporations) tend to disqualify tools based solely on them being too cheap.
They seem to have a mindset that if it's not expensive it can't be good.

British Airways famously had an increase in bookings for Concorde after they increased prices from their normal level (which was regular first class pricing) to a special (and far higher) level.
The same story I heard from a sales rep who, when asking potential customers why they had bought another product, regularly got as an answer that management didn't take the product seriously because it was priced too low.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try out Oracle JDeveloper it's free and it has visual editing for JSP/JSF also CSS editing and Javascript editing.

Don't count your weasels before they've popped. And now for a mulberry bush related tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic