• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Problems starting Eclipse in Fedora 7. Missing sym class??

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In a fit of desperation, I tried a clean installation of Fedora (FC7) this week, instead of an upgrade. Most things worked well, but I am having difficulties with Eclipse. I have tried downloading it from several sources, copying it into different folders, and I got it to work this morning logged on as root. Not what I ought to be doing. Most of the time it gets just beyond the box asking where I want my workspace to be, then says there is an error, look in "/home/Campbell/workspace/.metadata/.log" Opening the log file shows an Exception, like this:-Whenever I try it, I seem to get a similar set of stack traces. I think the core problem isAnybody know anything about this class and where it ought to be and how to sort my exception out?

I have tried writing parsers, so I have come across sym classes before; they appear to carry the information about which token is which from the scanner often called a Flexer, to the Parser, and they are obviously crucial to the IDE.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried downloading Eclipse 3.3 this morning, only they call it "Eclipse Europa," and installed it with the usual command:And I got the same sort of error, but it was a different file it failed to find. I recognised it as one I wrote myself. Obviously there is some sort of problem going back from the configuration files to the original workspace.

I deleted the eclipse folder, repeated the tar zxvf etc., and told it to set up a new workspace folder. It is now working

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have found out there is a file in /home/Campbell/eclipse/configuration/.settings called org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs which has the names of the workspaces in. I simply edited that file to delete the name of a workspace which I suspect doesn't work properly, and Eclipse worked again.

The . before settings means it is a hidden file.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Campbell, your finding saved my day !!

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch; glad to be of help. I was a bit surprised to see one of my old posts reappear like that!

The human mind is a dangerous plaything. This tiny ad is pretty safe:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic