• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

setting of class path for JSP in eclipse

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
In my Eclipse the classes get created in the Context folder rather then the Work Folder how can I set the Class path ? Due to the above problem i cannot debug the Java Script Pages. Please any one give me the Solution.

Thanks & Regards,
Arvind

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
False impression #1: JSP doesn't stand for Java Script Pages, it stands for Java Server Pages. I'm guessing you've coded enough logic on your JSPs that the misintgerpretation was natural. And now you've discovered one of the reasons why placing logic on JSPs is discouraged. Because they're a royal pain to debug. It's much easier to put logic in Java and reserve the JSPs for display output. And fringe benefits include scalability, maintainability, the ability to use HTML editors on the JSPs (J2Ps full of scriptlets drive HTML designers crazy), and likely more application security.

False Impression #2: Eclipse is not a J2EE container, so it doesn't care or know about JSPs. To develop and debug J2EE apps in Eclipse, most people add some sort of J2EE support pluging to their Eclipse system, such as the sysdeo Tomcat plugin. The exact location of the J2EE support directories will depend on which plugin you use and on any option overrides you might have applied to the plugin.

If you know where the compiled classes are going, and you insist on coding logic in your JSPs, you should be able to add the class directory to your project properties.

I have managed to set breakpoints in JSPs, but that's about all the details I can give, since I learned to keep my code out of the JSPs, so I don't need JSP breakpoints anymore. Since my favorite architecture these days is JSF, the JSF-generated generated Java code is so nasty I prefer not to even try.

If we don't do the shopping, we won't have anything for dinner. And I've invited this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic