• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse problem

Ranch Hand
Tomcat Server Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've setup my packaging for my project, I'm just battling to get the classes from an external jar I've added to the build path to be included in the creation of my jar?

What I've done to get around the problem is extract the classes into a separate dir and added them separately in my packaging settings.

Is it possible to get eclipse to place the classes used by the project in the output folder so they can be added to a jar file during packaging later?

Any help would be appreciated!

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As a matter of principle, I recommend using something Maven or Ant to do this kind of work. Modern-day IDEs are wonderful things, but long experience has taught me that projects that cannot be built from a command line will deliver major pain and suffering sooner or later.

On the other hand, I don't mind supplementing IDE functions for convenience' sake, only that it be possible to build the project on a system without an IDE as well. In Eclipse, probably the best aproach is to define an external tool using your system's copy command and bind that tool to your Eclipse project.

I'm speaking theoretically here, since I've never actually done this - I just use Maven or Ant.

Michael Labuschagne
Ranch Hand
Tomcat Server Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And if I were to use Ant how would I use it in this scenario? Can Ant extract the class files necessary from which ever Jar file and repackage them? I'm not familiar with Ant or Maven but I'm guessing it's some sort of script based engine which you can get to do all your build required tasks... Run commands etc... ???

Thanks for your help!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic