• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IDE?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello.

I did projects on VS.NET 2003.
As a new developer of Java which Java IDE should I use? There are many Open-Source IDEs like NetBeans, JDeveloper, JCreator, Eclipse etc etc. But couldn't able to decide which one will be best for a Novice Java Programmer.

Thanks & Regards

Prithiraj Sen Gupta

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Honestly? As a new programmer, you shouldn't use one at all -- not for the first week or two, anyway. In the Java world, the developer ought to know how everything works behind the scenes, and editing and compiling code yourself will teach you this. If you use an IDE from day one, then somewhere down the road you'll get hit by problems that wouldn't be problems if you understood the low-level stuff that an IDE hides from you.

In the Microsoft world it's often different: the IDE does things for you that nobody expects you to understand. Java isn't really like that.

Once you really understand ideas like the CLASSPATH, class files, jar files, etc, in practice, then you can use an IDE to automate things. Eclipse is a very popular open-source IDE. IntelliJ IDEA is a vastly superior commercial IDE. Netbeans has its followers, but isn't as widely used. JCreator and JDeveloper are toys.

We have a forum devoted to discussing IDEs and such; I'll move this thread there for you. Follow the link at the top of the page to find it.

Prithiraj Sen Gupta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Generally I don't Prefer to type "Thanks" Here(Javaranch) because I know it is a loss of Invaluable time of the sheriffs and authors to look at the post just for "thank you".

But I couldn't resist myself from posting the same here.

I understood, what You described. You have nicely distinguished Java from MS Development Environment. In Java the IDEs are like vessels(Only Vessels) which helps in easy typing the codes, creating the files which are necessary for Execution and a good Package Explorer. But in MS everything remains same but we cannot think of VB.NET, C#.NET without VS.NET.

Thanks & Regards

Prithiraj Sen Gupta
[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: Prithiraj Sen Gupta ]

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Speaking as the moderator of this forum, I don't mind it at all when people thank other people for their answers. And speaking as a person who answers questions on these forums, when I post an answer and get no response at all, I don't know what to think. Was it a good answer and they are busy implementing it? Did I miss the point entirely? Or what? So yes, my response would be to please give thanks where they are due.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Use IntelliJ (not free): http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic