• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

pros/cons auto-build feature inside IDE

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi, these days i am having a try on IntelliJ IDEA (the quick shortcuts and general layout look/feel look promising to me). what i noticed is the lack of auto-build feature (compile straight after saving a file), which i found useful inside eclipse.

i doubt that IntelliJ IDEA folks wouldn't be able to implement an autobuild feature and apart from that quite a few are using this IDE and do not seem to miss it either.

so i am asking what you consider as cons/prons for/against auto-building? i could only think of a performance issue, but so far i did not perceive the time for auto-build inside eclipse noticable.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you're mistaken about the ability to auto-build in IntelliJ. It's almost exactly like Eclipse except that in Eclipse the build classes go out to files and in IntelliJ, the auto-build is done in memory, but you can explicitly build to files.

A certain amount of auto-building is essential for best IDE operation. Auto-completion needs to know about any classes it wants to volunteer completions information for.

manuel aldana
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i see...

i noticed that the autobuild feature is active, the reason why it did not work was a misconfiguration. i was a bit misguided by a post i read recently, which mentioned that auto-build was not available.

the auto-build even responds quicker as eclipse does (maybe for the inside-memory reason), which is great. and no explicit save is neccessary anymore, which is fantastic (inside eclipse every time a do an edit i just do this annoying standard <Strg>+S)).
i really start to like this IDE, let's see what the evaluation month brings more...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic