• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Solaris 10 installation ERROR question?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi all,
i have encountred an ERROR during instaling Solaris 10 ,this is the error:

ERROR: Could not install all product file.
could not install all packages. Product installation failed
mkdir:"a/var/sadm/launcher":I/O Error.

don't know Solaris 10 is not making any sense to me.i tried many times to install Solaris 10 but as i could not multi boot between Solaris 10 and XP some times i re-installed both ,partitioned my disk many times with different configurations ,anyway the same options for Solaris 10 installation were used but did not give me the same results. my hardware information are mentioned below:

1- p4 2.4 , 1 MB Cache.
2- 750 MB of RAM's.
3- Mother Board: Giga Byte with built in Sound ,VGA ,Network Card.
4- Monitor: Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200sx.

could not find any match for my Monitor during Solaris 10 installation.anyway the installation usually stops when adding a package called X Windows ..... for /usr/lib at 57.96 MB .
don't know if someone knows about this i would be grateful.

Mahmoud Hadad
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i did run the Solaris 10 install check.anyway it showed that:
Sound Controller T-2
Sis900 PCI Fast Ethernet T-2
Motorla N

but it also showed that Solaris 10 can be installed on my system.
don't know i'm running a checksum on my iso images of Solaris 10 to see if there is something wrong on Solaris 10 iso image files and using another CD-RW to see if the CD-ROM is causing this error.don't know ,if someone encountered this error before please share it with us.
regards

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

mkdir:"a/var/sadm/launcher":I/O Error

This looks like a probable hardware error. Somehow, it decided to create a directory in an unexpected place (a/var/sadm/launcher). It's the "a" on the front that makes me suspect that, since /var/sadm/launcher is OK.

You might want to run a memory test and a disk check. There's an excellent memory test program that comes on disc #1 of any of the recent Fedora install CDs. For a disk check, probably a booting copy of Knoppix is the easiest way of geting a linux system temporarily booted so you can run the badblocks utility. Since you're doing a system install, run the full badblock test (including the destructive write option) unless you're setting up for a dual boot environment and don't want to wipe out the other partitions.

Mahmoud Hadad
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi evreyone,
thanks tim for your replies.
don't know but Solaris 10 is not making any sense to me at all.the peoblem is i have installed Solaris 10 many times ,sometime GRUB detected Windows XP automatically and other times it could not and other times it halted during installation and said I/O error could not install all packages ,so i changed my CD-ROM anyway it did install Solaris 10 some times but GRUB could not detec Windows XP automatically and i could not configure GRUB to do so manually so i bought a new CD-ROM and mounted it on my pc.anyway when i tryed to install Solaris 10 and choosed Solaris from the booting screen it displayed the above mentioned error:

Error 28: Selected item can not fit into memory

the upper memory in the booting screen was: 752576 kb
lower memory: 639 kb
don't know but Solaris 10 is not making any sense to me since a week ,it's behavior is not understood .although i did run the install check before starting the installation and it did say Soalris 10 can be installed on you system.my hardware information is the following:

Gigabyte mother board with bult in VGA ,Sound ,Ethernet
40 GB Western Digital Hard Disk
750 MB of RAM's
Pentuiem 4 ,1 MB Cache

please adivce if anyone knows about this?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic