• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Where to get free linux OS

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
I am new to linux world. I want to install Red hat linux in my PC. I have Red Hat linux 9.0 CD but during installation it's asking for some more drivers. So I am confused. If someone can give me a link to full copy of Red Hat linux which include all the drivers as well that would be great.

Thanks in Advance.

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Woah! Red Hat 9 was discontinued years ago. The closest thing to a free Red Hat Linux is the Fedora Project. A community effort sponsored by Red Hat. Be warned, Fedora is a bleeding-edge distribution. It is very current, but also occasionally buggy.
If you are just starting out, you may want a more stable "desktop" distribution, like Ubuntu or SUSE. Distrowatch has links to reviews and the various download sites. Most of these distros have bootable CD's available so you can test drive before you install.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi I am also new to linux I downloaded Ubuntu It is really great and simple

just have a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, about the closest thing to a free "Red Hat" Linux is CentOS or something like it. Built from the RHEL sources. Fedora is "from" Red Hat, but isn't (until they change their minds again) an actual Red Hat release.

Most modern systems are pretty standard on hardware and shouldn't need extra drivers. That wasn't so true back when RH9 was the latest model and you'd buy servers from Compaq with their off-the-wall proprietary SCSI drivers. And when even the more-or-less standard Adaptec drivers were on an "extras" disk.

So you may get around the driver problem just by upgrading to CentOS. If not, you'll probably need drivers from your hardware vendor, rather than from Red Hat.

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I went to install Linux the other day, and started with Red Hat. I gave up after three millions screens and no idea what to do to download it.

Then I went to OpenSuse and found the link right away. The install was so simple, it was amazing.

You should check it out.

Cheers!

-Cameron McKenzie

Sivaraman Lakshmanan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,
I found the problem. The problem is Red hat is not able to find my hard drive. I have 80Gb hard disk, I am planning for a dual boot. So 70GB I left and widows and 10GB I left unformatted so that Red hat can detect and use it. But unfortunately Red hat is not able to detect.

Please Help

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, I will repeat my recommendation that you use a modern Linux distribution. Red Hat 9 is no longer maintained so you will not be able to get help, bug fixes or security updates. Newer software will have problems running on RH9 because it is compiled against newer libraries. Any of the above recommendations will be far better in any category than Red Hat 9.
Next, as for your problem, what do you mean you left 10GB "unformatted"? You will need to create a seperate partition for Linux. Did you do so?
Be aware that Linux will designate your hard drive and partitions differently than Windows. The first hard drive is hda, the second hdb and so on. The partitions are designated by numbers after the drive names, like hda1 for the first partition on the first drive, hdb2 for the second on the second and so on.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic