• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

dumb newbie question

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I was, many years ago, a Mac-head. Started on a Mac Plus, eventually tricked out to 4MB (at $100 a Megabyte!) I left the fold shortly after the migration to PowerPC. Had a low-serial-number PowerMac 7100, but the quality issues chased me away to Linux.

Now I'm sitting here with a gorgeous new PowerBook, and I see where I'm going to be re-converted. I am missing my other mouse buttons, though, and in particular, I'm missing some right-click menu options. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do one thing in Safari: how do I copy a link's URL? As a JavaRanch sheriff, this is something I do quite a bit, but I can't see any way to do it at all in this browser. Anybody?

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ctrl-click will emulate a right click to get you a context menu.
[ September 20, 2005: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Told you it was a dumb question! Thanks!

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No prob -- you'll find your way as you get more used to the interface.

By the way, if you're going to use the PB as a primary machine, and usually on a work surface, you can get a cheap/small multi-button USB mouse. I have one that I use when I'm using my iBook on a desk. Of course, most of my iBook time entails sitting on my ass with my feet propped up -- but when going at it hot and heavy, the mouse beats the trackpad for speed and accuracy.
[ September 20, 2005: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's also a product called One Finger Snap, which is supposed to display the contextual menu when you click your single button and hold for a period of time (adjustable from 1/2 second to 3 seconds).

This is shareware with a license cost of only $6.85, but test the free trial version first, because this tool seems very quirky about where it will work. For example, it does not seem to work for copying URLs from browser windows (in Safari, it does nothing; in Firefox, it de-selects the URL before presenting the menu, so it can't be copied), nor does it copy text in MS Word (where the Copy option is simply grayed out).

On the other hand, this is very new, and they seem pretty active about fixing bugs (going from release 1.0 to 1.2.2 in less than month), so maybe in time...

http://www.oldjewelsoftware.com/products/onefingersnap/index.html

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Definitely just get a multi-button mouse. I've read good things about Apple's mighty mouse thing, but personally I just use a Microsoft optical mouse: USB, two buttons, scroll wheel, feels nice. One of the best things MS do... and I don't imagine that they actually make it ;o)

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried a Mighty Mouse at an Apple store. It's not as bad as I expected after reading some horribe user reviews, but it's not that great either (where "that" = $49).

You firghten me terribly. I would like to go home now. Here, take this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic