• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Hyperlink And Caching

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I have a jsp page where i have a link to one pdf file. Now, the problem is every time i click the link and open that pdf file. The newer version of that pdf file is not getting displayed. I have to press refresh to see the updated version. I know that browser is caching that perticular page. But how do i prevent an hyperlink from getting cached by a browser. I really need help with this. I have to finish this today. I would really appreciate it if someone can help me in this.
Looking forward for some response.
Sujatha.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You could include the following tag to disable client-caching:

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[/qb]<hr></blockquote>
sorry to bring up an old post.
I have a page with many links in it to static resources that are getting cached, obviously. i want to avoid this, meaning, I want my static resources(as hyperlinks) not to get cached.... Does adding the headers you mentioned prevent only the main page where the headers are present from getting cached OR does it also prevent all the static resources(as hyperlinks) in the page from getting cached. I tried adding the headers but it dint work for the case i just described.
shankar.
[ January 16, 2004: Message edited by: shankar vembu ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The tag only works on that page if it even works at all!
The easiest solution is to have the checkbox disabled on your browser that does nto cache and used that page. But you can not touch that on other people's machine
People add session numbers to the end of html paes so it forces a new instance to be used and not the cached version, but I am not sure if that would work with non-html pages.
Eric

shankar vembu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Eric Pascarello:
The easiest solution is to have the checkbox disabled on your browser that does nto cache and used that page. But you can not touch that on other people's machine
Eric

I dint get you. You mean to say I change my internet options to "check for newer version" on "every page visit". This is in IE...
The static resources I mentioned are .mp3 files in my page which I do not want to cache. So is there a way that I make only these namely .mp3 files un-cacheable?? Should I use HTTP headers instead of the HTML meta tags and manipulate somehow...
Regards.

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can set your options on your browser so it always gets the newer version of the page, but this is not a solution for everyone that comes to your site that does not have that selected.
Eric

shankar vembu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
eric,
i guess this link of yours will solve my problem. it's a nice trick. will check that out. i need some changes in my code for this.
regards.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic