• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Multipage HTML Forms

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
I am currently trying to find a good solution of what I would describe as a number of different pages within a form. At the moment what I do is call a HTML page that is used for entering user details and then enter the details and press submit to invoke a servlet that updates a DB. However the form that the user is presented with on the screen is an "ugly, really long, top-to-bottom" stlye form. What I want to do is for the page to load once with a number of buttons on the bottom like next, back, submit, etc and for the user to see the first part of the form, then click next and see the next part, etc. I DONT want to make subsequent requests for additional pages in order to give the effect. The page must only load once. I have been looking into DHTML and Javascript...
Any help, ideas, solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Paul.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What about using a frameset. In the navigation frame (the one that is always the same) you could put a bunch of hidden fields to store the values that the user enters. Then you could allow them to navigate through a bunch of pages in the other frame, entering data as they go. You could store their responses in the corresponding hidden field in the other frame. Then when you get to the last page, you could do your submit from the other frame.
But that solution would involve loading multiple pages. You said you don't want to do that, right? Hmmmmm...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Could you use layers on this, by hiding and unhiding layers? I'm not sure if that is a cross platform solution but I know that it is a relatively easy thing to do in Dreamweaver
Brian

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
But will Netscape support layers?

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ONLY Netscape will support layers, and the LAYER element is deprecated in modern version of Netscape.
To use "overlays" in modern browsers (IE5+, NN6+, Mozilla, Safari) you can use DIV elements with the display attribute set to block (for visible) and none (for hidden).
hth,
bear

gaurav chaudhary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can I take all the layers of one html in one form?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i like theframe thing better to avoid layers etc DHTML issues across browsers...
regards
maulin

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The layers solution is not hard at all. The only browser that may have trouble with it is Opera, but I am probably the only one here that uses that. If you give a basic layout of your form, I might be able to play with it tom. and show you how easy it is. I was thinking the look of a tab folder on top to show the different layers. You can go the frame way, but there is problems with frames too. Back button with frames, bookmarking, refresh button. etc.
Both ways has there flaws, but no one seemed to mention them.
Eric

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just a warning to be careful with this technique, though. There are significant usability problems with multi-page web forms which don't occur in single-page forms.
The main issue is that a lot of users can't help assuming that each "page" has somehow been "saved" when they leave it by clicking, and are quite likely to hop off to another URL or close the browser without explicitly "saving" or "finishing" the whole form.

gaurav chaudhary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Eric Pascarello ! Actually what I want to do is take three objects of html on one layer and three objects(text boxes) on other layer and provide one save button at the bottom which will be shown to the user irrespective of on which layer he is in...... and when he presses the save button then whole form gets submitted. I want to implement just that.....
thanks in advance

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will work on it as soon as I get my computer back up and running,,,,I reformatted every thing an lets say Microsoft is not being friendly...

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
look at this:
http://www10.brinkster.com/a1ien51/help/DIVMENU.htm

No prison can hold Chairface Chippendale. And on a totally different topic ... my stuff:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic