• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

A simple problem with my form

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,
I'm having a problem with designing a very small form in Dreamweaver. Its just a login form with username and password textfields - the usual.
The problem I am having is that in order to make the textfields sit right (they were too close before - touching ) I have had to make a layout TABLE and put a number of layout cells in. That works fine in terms of layout but I'm having problems knowing where to put the form tags. I thought I could put them outside the layout table (or just inside) and I thought thats what I had done, but dreamweaver told me that some tages were outside a table and that they may be deleted.
Can anyone say if I'm doing the right sort of idea generally, and if so, where would the best place to putthe form tags be?
Many thanks
Simon

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Put the form tags outside the table. If you're not sure, check the page using validator.
If you have rendering problems, preview the page for sure -- the Dreaweaver has some bad days too.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is perfectly legal to nest a form within a table or a table within a form. If Dreamweaver is telling you otherwise, it's sadly mistaken. <soapbox>This is one of the reasons that I'd rather die than let some wysiwyg program like DW generate code for me. But that's just me.</soapbox>.
That said, have you investigated the use of CSS for applying padding and margins rather than resorting to tables? This would vastly simplify your markup.
hth,
bear

Seriously? That's what you're going with? I prefer this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic