• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

HTML Editor - Good Rendering

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I usually use Dreamweaver for my HTML pages. But lately I have noticed that the design view doesn't always render the pages exactly like they appear in a browser. So I am always stuck going between the browser and the design. This is especially true when I have to test Javascript. Not to mention that for some reason Dreamweaver really eats up memory and eventually just gets way too slow bounding between windows.

What I am wondering is if there is an HTML editor that has a design view that renders just as well as todays browsers like Firefox, dare I say IE, etc. It would be especially helpful if it ran Javascript as well. I know I could just go back and forth between notepad and a browser instance, but I would rather not have to go from window to window if at all possible.

Thanks.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not to sound elitist, but I would rather die than let some WYSIWYG tool write code for me. Besides, because of browser differences, any 'design view' within a tool will have a margin of error. Some tools actually use an embedded browser instance -- but that's only good for the browser that's embedded.

Best I've found are tools that makes it easy to launch your pages in multiple browsers for viewing. I use BBEdit which make the process as seamless as possible, but that's a Mac-only tool. When I was on Windows I liked Homesite best.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I went ahead and downloaded 1st Page 2000. It's a free HTML editor and pretty powerful. It has support to launch 4 different browsers for preview and has a built in IE browser preview which you can split with the editor and see live updates as you type code.

I like it so far. It's pretty quick and has all the features I need.

Uh oh, we're definitely being carded. Here, show him this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic