• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ajax Challenge

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Having tried out Ajax for testing purposes I have noticed major issues with cross browser compatibility. Right from the way we create a XMLHttpRequest to the time we want to parse the XML Response we have to deal with different behaviour of javascript in different browsers. The code to parse XML is different for IE and Mozilla, I dont know about Netscape, Opera and others. I have realized that we end up duplicating code to deal with this issue.

Is there any way or getting around this?
[ April 25, 2006: Message edited by: Liyaquat Ali ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We've been focusing on the Prototype library (http://prototype.conio.net/). It's really a javascript library that happens to include a few methods for simplifying Ajax calls on the client side.
It has crossbrowser implementation code and so we need not worry about the intricate details of browsers supporting different DOM objects.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Except for creating the request object, I haven't found that much browser-depenendent code is necessary even when not using a 3rd-party library. Of course there are the usual other DHTML things that IE does wrong, but those are independent of Ajax itself, just more likely to be tripped upon when creating applications that are heavy on DHTML.
[ April 25, 2006: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The browser dependencies for AJAX are basically just IE vs. everybody else, so it is easy to just encapsulate that decision in a function. There are plenty of frameworks that address this and other issues.

There are much bigger cross-browser issues with HTML and CSS than this minor annoyance.

Liyaquat Ali
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanx Smitha for the link to http://prototype.conio.net/

Linda U mentioned that are other frameworks which can get around this browser incompatibility issue, would please provide the linx to the same if possible.

Has anyone heard of Jaxson, its a framework that Christian Gross(Author of Ajax Patterns and Best Practices) is working on, I have not been able to get much info about Jaxson.

Hasn't anyone faced the issue of code duplication when parsing the Ajax XMLResponse??

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you mean by code duplication with parsing the XML. Show us your code. You may not be doing things right.

Eric

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As several have said, the only significant difference between browsers is in creating a request object: using XMLHttpRequest in Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Safari, et. al., versus using ActiveXObject in Microsoft. But that is pretty easy to encapsulate and work around.

Other than that, there really aren't issues, assuming you're careful in your code. For instance, in Head Rush Ajax, some fairly complex DOM interactions, DHTML, XML parsing, JSON parsing, and CSS manipulation are performed, all without any browser-specific code. So it's mostly just being careful about what properties you use.

Thanks
Brett

Linda Walters
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Liyaquat,

There are a number of frameworks including Dojo, also there is a pretty good, but simple framework that is used in (don't laugh) Ajax for Dummies and that has the code available from the Chapter 5 folder in the code from the book's website.

Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As several have said, the only significant difference between browsers is in creating a request object: using XMLHttpRequest in Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Safari, et. al., versus using ActiveXObject in Microsoft. But that is pretty easy to encapsulate and work around.

And for those who don't know yet, this restriction is going to disappear with IE7

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

this restriction is going to disappear with IE7

That's good news. But the restriction will actually disappear when nobody will use IE6 anymore

Liyaquat Ali
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanx Guyz ahemmmm n Galz,

I guess the XML Parsing code I have has a problem.

Linda, sorry, I didi laugh N I laughed again when I read "dont laugh", thanx for the linx will go through them soon.

Satou, U R right, the problem will dissapear only when ppl stop using IE6!

[ April 26, 2006: Message edited by: Liyaquat Ali ]
[ April 27, 2006: Message edited by: Liyaquat Ali ]

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Liyaquat,

Use full words when you post of the forums! Not everyone speaks English here as I pointed out to you on another post.

Eric Pascarello

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My two cents and a cake
Only use common Language..

Liyaquat Ali
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the advice on using full words instead of short forms, I will definitelt keep it in mind next time.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic