• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Source of pop up blocking

Ranch Hand
Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does anybody know of a way to detect what is doing the pop up blocking, for instance is it the browser, or something like a google toolbar. The reason is I've noticed there are different ways to by-pass the blocker--for IE 7 (at least the beta version) by holding the CNTL + ALT key, but with the google toolbar, just the CNTL key is needed (although CNTL + ALT also works). If a pop up is blocked (the web app I work on uses them alot), I'd like to give my user the proper instructions to allow them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How about you detect if the pop up is blocked and tell them to enable it in the pop up application. There is no way of telling who blocked it that I know of. Personally I try to avoid pop ups and use a combination of XMLHttpRequest Object/layers or iframes to do the same thing.

Eric

Mike Firkser
Ranch Hand
Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the fast response.

The only problem I see there is that if it's the browser that is blocking it, you allow the pop up one way, if it's google toolbar, you do it another way. I have also found that if you have and href with a target of "_blank", these are also treated as popups by IE 7 and google toolbar. This can be a problem with a website I manage that has a links of interest page, where if the user goes to one of these links, I don't want them leaving my page.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic