• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Good in java but not in javascript

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hallo Frank Zammetti,

I'm java programmer. Even in java in some project my boss usually ask me also to write the page. The most i worried is when i need to write javascript. javascript make me scare, I dont have many exeperience in javascript. Then now i'm involved in project that use ajax that i never used before?

I need top learn fast about ajax
what should i read and what step that i have to pass to do ajax
Mujoko

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Frank Zammetti,

Can i embade java code into Ajax code like Jsp's . does this book contain the details of migrating javascript code to ajax?
I have lot of javascript in my project. If i want to migrate to ajax how much time it will take to change?

Thanks
Purushotham.P

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, two different questions, let me tackle each separately...

First, joko's question... AJAX isn't fundamentally complicated, it's in fact pretty simple in its most basic form. One suggest I would give is that if you aren't as comfortable in Javascript yet is to choose a good library because it will keep you away from some of the more complex details. Something like Prototype is a good choice. My own AjaxParts Taglib might be a good option since you are familiar with Java and JSP (http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net ... hit the Javadocs link and look in the ajaxparts package). As for what to read, I'd suggest starting with a good beginning book on Javascript in general. One good choice might be "Beginning JavaScript with DOM Scripting and Ajax: From Novice to Professional" by Christian Heilmann (http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10134). My first book on AJAX might be good too, although it's billed as a medium-level book, so I'd be worried it might move a little fast at first.

Most importantly though, don't be scared of Javascript! There's really nothing to be scared about... your experience with Java means you already have a decent grasp of the basic syntax because they are pretty similar in that regard, and certainly there's a low barrier to entry (i.e., no compiler or anything, just pop open a text editor, drop some script in and load it up in your browser). As with all things, just spend a little time experimenting and it'll all come together pretty quickly.

Now, on to Purushotham... I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but I'll try anyway... first, as for migrating Javascript to AJAX, rememebr that AJAX is just a way of using Javascript, so there's not really a migration per se. You may take a non-AJAX application and decide to throw some AJAX into it, I suppose you might consider that a migration. If that's what you mean, my book won't specifically show you how to do that. What it will do however is show you some examples of AJAX and how it can be used. However, AJAX is only one part of the Practical JavaScript Projects book... if you have a specific interest in AJAX, you may be better server by my first book, Practical Ajax Projects with Java Technologies. It's certainly more targeted.

As for embedding Java code in AJAX code, I'm not really sure what that means... certainly you can make an AJAX request to a server that uses a JSP, and thus Java, to render the response. And certainly a JSP could include AJAX code, if that's what you meant.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Purushotham Panduranga, for future questions please be sure to start a new topic rather than posting your question in someone else's topic!

bear
JavaRanch Sheriff

He baked a muffin that stole my car! And this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic