• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Voices that Matter - preparation

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ryan,

This is perfect! I'm glad you're answering questions this week.

I am going to the "Voices That Matter" conference on Dec. 3-6 http://www.voicesthatmatter.com/gwt2007/index.html

We don't use GWT here at our shop but we are fascinated by everything we've read. My mission (and I chose to accept it) is to go to the conference to become a complete GWT expert in two days. From scratch. Right. Then I come back and report if GWT should be part of our technical direction.

I need to study up like crazy in order to get the most out of the conference. I have about 16 hours between now and then. What I would like to know is:

a) Can you recommend a reading/prototype plan that will help me prepare for the conference, and
b) I have *no* clue as to what would be a good track for a noob. Could you The following are the choices I have to make. Can you make any recommendation?

Security vs. GWT apps in production
Performance vs. Client server communication
Usability vs. Voodoo in the browser
Deferred binding vs. Understanding user interfaces
Creating widgets vs. Internationalization (We don't do int'l, this one's easy)
Tour of GWT core vs JavaScript Native Interface
Architecture Best Practices vs Unit Tests and Benchmarking
Best Practices for Building Libraries vs. API Integration

The session in which you're speaking, "Deployment Best Practices" has no competing track positioned against it, and even if it did I'd take it in anyway!

Thanks Ryan, and I'll see you there. (I'll be the one guy walking around with a thousand yard stare looking dazed and confused.)
[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Charles McGuire ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic