• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Large select list slow in IE 6

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am not sure anybody would have a quick solution to this but I figured that it would not hurt to ask. I have a page that has two select lists that contain about 4000 items each. Okay...having these huge select lists may not be the best user interface but that it another topic. On my computer the page loads in 2-3 seconds in Firefox but takes around 15 seconds with IE 6. Testing with IE on some tablets that are several years old (not sure what CPU) shows that the page takes several minutes to display with IE (don't have Firefox on the tablet...IE is what the client uses).

Longer term I would like to migrate to an Ajax based "suggest" list but that is not going to happen today. Have others noticed this type of performance difference between IE and Firefox? Anybody know if IE 7 is better? Is there anyway to speed this up in IE 6?

- Brent

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The speed depends on the browser, updates, extemsions, markup [make sure it is valid], and what else is running on the computer. Other factors that also can be in play is if you are using a table design.

And yes a select list with 4000 options is a bit overboard. I would not even want to give a user a select with 25 options.

You can actually implement the autocomplete pretty quickly if you use a library. http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/autocomplete/ is one example of many out there.

Eric

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Brent Sterling:
Is there anyway to speed this up in IE 6?

Not IE 6 specifically, but if you don't have a compression filter, you should try that out. It will help save bandwidth which will make the actual transmission faster. It has helped us a lot for large pages. And a 4K list is large in and of itself!

Brent Sterling
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks...I have not personally been able to see the "several minutes" load time. I did try another computer with a 1.5 GHz Mobile processor using IE 6 and a 2 GHz computer with IE 7 and they were both in the 15 - 30 second range. For most of the time the CPU is pegged out and nothing is transferring over the network.

Oh well...we have been getting more request for suggest type lists so it looks like this is a good place to start.

- Brent

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The speed has nothing to do with the network. The speed is based on how long it takes the browser to render the controls on the page. There is nothing you can do other than making sure you have valid markup.

Eric

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic