• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why XML Schemas???

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Anyone can please explain me what is the main use of XML schemas and some say that XML schemas are mainly used for Data Interchange between Websites run by different people. They interchange business data like member profiles(information provided by internet users when they register in a site). Is this true??? I am very anxious to know how this can be possible and am in very urgent need.
Please explain me in detail how exactly this can be done using XML. Or anyone can plz., explain me where i can get this information. Any books etc.,

chiranjeevi bigboss
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi..
Thanq very much for the explanation...now i have known something abt XML schemas...but i am quiet interested in knowing in detail specifically abt the interoperability of XML schemas...To be more specific i want to know the exact meaning of the phrase "Data interchange between business partners using XML schemas" if possible thru a pictorial diagram...
i'll be very much grateful to u if can kindly help me specifically...the interoperability...
Thanx & Rgrds

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Think of a schema as a blueprint for an XML document. A valid XML document is an instance of a the schema it refers to. The anology is parallel to the relation between a class definition and an instance of that class. More than one XML document can be valid for any given schema.
Since schema defines the structure of a XML document, they can be used to verify the correctness of a XML document received from an external source. This is where adoption of XML technology imparts a tremendous value addition to B2B transactions. In a typical supply-chain management, the supplier receives requests from clients for consumables( either durables or services ). The B2B paradigm automates the order processing and fullfilment cycle between a number of such supplier-consumer entities.
Eventhough in a perfect world all the actors ( suppliers, managers, consumers etc. ) involved in in the business process speak the same language, the reality is painfully different. Due to lack of standardization of data exchange formats, order requests can come in a zillion different shapes and sizes - ranging from simple predefined fill-in form to e-mail or even verbal requests. The promise of XML technology as a universally standard language greatly alleviates the need to use translation modules to decipher proprietary formats.
This is where the Schema definition kicks in. Using XML for data interchange is not a silver bullet. It is not a cure all and infact increase the complexity of managing and making sense out of data, if the structure of XML itself is not standaradized. Since XML allows user-defined tags, vendors are free to create and use anything of their choice. Since the use of XML Schema removes all such ambiguities and enforces constraints on the structure of an XML document, vendors can now agree upon industry-specific document structures for exchanging information. Once agreed upon, these structures( Schema ) can be published as public resources and any validating parser will be able to validate an XML document with reference to the schema.
Hope I have answered your question.
Good luck,
------------------
Ajith Kallambella M.
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java�2 Platform.
IBM Certified Developer - XML and Related Technologies, V1.

chiranjeevi bigboss
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi ajith...
i think i've reached a knowleged corner after c'ing ur explanation...
now i got an understanding of XML schemas...but i would definitly like to
present before u my actual task if u dont think thats too much...
My Actual Problem :
i am involved in a B2B portal development which shares its business with 3 other websites.
now my site involves 3 websites for sharing its business... in future it can involve as many websites as it wants.
i can define the term 'business sharing ' as follows:
if suppose a general internet user registers himself in any of the sharing sites then his information should be automatically
transferred to the other websites(into database of the other 3 websites)....ie the 3 websites share the users in between them...
i think XML schemas fit into my requirement after ur explanation...but i dont know how perfectly i can use them...
how to start with...can u plz., explain the XML schema more in specific to the above scenario...
Its very urgent for me thanx in advance and many more thanx for the information u've provided for me...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic