• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

XML:FO and PDF's

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there everyone,
Am I right in thinking that you have to use XML:FO in order to make PDF files out of xml files? If this is the case then can someone explain why you have to use this other technology instead of just using XSL.
For making HTML pages, I just use XSL, after all, it has been touted as the solution to all our presentation woes. But if this is the case, why then does pdf require this other technology, and what exactly does it do?
I havent been able to get a useful answer to this simple question yet.
I'm really hoping someone can help
Many thanks
Kind Regards
Simon

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Am I right in thinking that you have to use XML:FO in order to make PDF files out of xml files? If this is the case then can someone explain why you have to use this other technology instead of just using XSL.
For making HTML pages, I just use XSL, after all, it has been touted as the solution to all our presentation woes. But if this is the case, why then does pdf require this other technology, and what exactly does it do?

You don't have to use XSL:FO. It's just easier compared to writing your own XML-to-PDF conversion tool (whether it's based on an XSL stylesheet or just Java code parsing the XML). The reason why it's so difficult is the shear complexity of the PDF specification (e.g. font elements aren't that easy to play with).

Simon Harvey
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK,
Thanks for that
Simon

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic