• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

where to start with java and xml

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,
I have good experience with java , servlets etc.Started now on using the xml.
In one of my applications i am constructing an xml in a JSP file .Now for some of our needs , i have to convert that xml to html and store it in database.I think here i have to use XSLT
Where do i start on that , In this application i am using Struts , tomcat , i think first i have to parse that xml and then convert to html.what are the parsers avaialable and how do i use them?
Please someone provide me with some input.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The API you'll need is called JAXP (Java API for XML Processing) and it's part of J2SE 1.4 -- no extra downloads necessary. However, the API is built so that you can replace the default parser implementation (Apache Crimson) with something else if you want (like Apache Xerces, the successor to Crimson). Crimson is perfectly sufficient for probably more than 90% of projects out there.
Regarding learning resources, the IBM developerWorks XML tutorials are something you should take a look at. Especially Understanding DOM and Understanding SAX (you might want to start with an Introduction to XML if you're new to XML in general). At a later stage, you might become interested in how XML Schema validation, for example.
Another nice list of resources can be found at http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/learning/tutorial/index.html.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic