• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

how to use citation style language?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am developing a website in which I provide the user with a list of books and also a save button next to each book title. How can I save the information of the book like author,title,publisher when the user clicks on save button. I have seen zotero (http://www.zotero.org/) using citation style language for doing this. Can anyone let me know how can I do this or is there any other way to store such information in a pdf or word format. Thanks in advance

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Like most projects you need to work in feasible steps. Which part of the problem have you solved already?

Getting information out of an HTML page form is a servlets problem - do you know how to do this? If not, the servlets forum and typical servlets tutorials will help.

Formatting and saving this information might best be done in XML so posting in an XML forum makes some sense. Do you need a pointer to an XML tutorial?

Bill

venkata kommuru
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you please explain me or provide me a tutorial related to my task in xml(formatting and saving in some word or text format).

William Brogden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This online release of Harold's book is full of excellent material.

Saving this sort of information in an XML formatted text file is widely done, mainly because it is so flexible and there are many excellent tools for further processing.

What do you want to do with the data after it is saved?

Bill

venkata kommuru
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for your material. I hope, I need to be little bit more clear about my task. I need to present the user some list of books. for ex.

XML (save button)
SAX (save button)
XSLT (save button)

If the user thinks that SAX by so and so author is very good book and he wants to save the details of the book like author,title,publisher into his computer then the user clicks the save button. Then the user has been asked for where to save in some word or text format. I hope now I am clear about my task. please let me know whether I need to use XSLT or something for doing this. Thanks alot!

William Brogden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I hope now I am clear about my task.

Not yet, but we are making progress. The fact that you want to save some text on the client (browser) side makes a big difference. I am guessing that you plan to create the equivalent of a formatted file on the server and give the user a link to download that file.

It is not clear to me why you are even talking about XSLT - is the existing book data on the server in XML format?

Bill

venkata kommuru
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, this is an isolated task before starting the project. In the website( project) there is a literature section. In each topic, under a category there will be some list of books related to that topic. when someone, while going through the books, founds some book interesting. Instead of writing the user those details somewhere else, I want to provide a link which automatically saves the details of the book in to client pc in some word or text format.

I want to store each book details in an xml file, integrated realted books into one xml file and want to output to the client in a tree structure. like

Category
topic
xml
Sax
Xslt
etc. and also a link provided for each book to save the details of the book(author,title,publisher) on the client side. It is my idea, I dont know whether it works or not. As an isolated task, I want to implement like this. please let me know whether I can do this with xml and related tehcnologies. Thanksss!

They worship nothing. They say it's because nothing is worth fighting for. Like this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic