• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Discussion Forum and estimate of time

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
I am planning to build a Discussion forum similar to our java ranch forum using MVC without EJBs. To design Database , design and develop screens howmany days can we estimate to do it?
Thanks,
Murali
[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Murali Mohan ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know, but if I had to estimate it, I would use something along the lines of http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PlanningGame

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I hope you realise that "a discussion board similar to JavaRanch" is way too vague a specification to estimate from.
I know several people who have tried to do such a project, and almost all of them have never even made it to producing any useful code. My suggestion is that you decide for yourself what is the absolute, bare-bones, don't-care-how-nice-it-looks, minimum you can think of which can still be counted as some sort of discussion board. Then (a) estimate just that bit of software; (b) produce it and see how long it takes; (c) multiply any future estimates by the ratio between (b) and (a).
Ultimately, only you (or whoever is asking you to make this) can decide when you are finished, and that is a vital input to any estimate.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic