• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Just starting as a professional

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have contributed to many threads here at the Ranch primarily on an academic level. Since I graduated in May, I am just entering the professional realm. I would really like to start my own custom software business. Does your book provide helpful hints on managing projects, especially for a entry-level programmer such as myself? My background thus far is primarily in development, with a little bit in design and testing. I have little experience with dealing with customers and managing documentation. Does your book cover any of these issues as well?

Thanks for your comments.

Layne

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you are too early. The book promotion usually starts on Tuesdays.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Having read Ship it! I would say it's a very good book for you. You'll get a really good idea of the goings on in a development environment.

I also would highly recommend the other books in the Pragmatic library if you're just starting out. Nothing like creating a firm foundation from which to build upon

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
I think you are too early. The book promotion usually starts on Tuesdays.

It's never to early for a promotion. Posts on Monday aren't entered in the drawing, but they are avialable to be answered as soon as the authors arrive. I've done this a few times myself as it allows you to have a deeper conversation.

I agree with Robert that the other Pragmatic books would be useful to you. They really bridge the gap between what is and what should be.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Does your book provide helpful hints on managing projects, especially for a entry-level programmer such as myself?

If not, we failed.

Will and I were fortunate (??) enough to work in a few start-ups that had little to no process in place, so we got to wade through the "fun" of figuring out what we needed to put into place. It's very different to come into a shop with an established process and have something to complain about and quite another to enter a shop that can't build it's own products! One shop had bought source code management software but hadn't installed it!

Now we work at SAS (the world's largest privately owned software company) and we're seeing that a lot of the same ideas are either already in place, or needed. We've helped to introduce Continuous Integration for instance, and it's been just as important at SAS as it was in the startups. Now we are working with test automation.

The idea behind the book is simple. What do you need to do to run a software shop. We've tried to boil down our experience to a simple form that you can pick up and use. We intentionally stayed language neutral, but provided language specific resources in the Appendix and on my web site Resouce Pages

Don't misunderstand though... this is a presentation of what worked for us. If you are an active thinker and reader, you'll probably add to what we've done in your shop. You'll keep parts and throw other bits out. There are a lot of very smart people out there thinking about process. I think our book is a great place to get started. But don't stop here.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic