• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Release It! : Question...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Michael,

I've just been through a medium sized port of an app where we've learned a ton of lessons that I'm sure you covered to some degree in your new book. Some of the biggest lessons our IT group had to deal with surrounded successfully managing builds and configurations for multiple teams in multiple environments with multiple types of web servers to support.

The title of your book leads me to believe you possibly cover release management to some degree, although it isn't really mentioned in the overview on Amazon. Do you think build/release/configuration management (whatever people want to call it) is over-rated or under-rated currently in the IT industry? Could you give us some thoughts to back up your opinion?

Thanks,
Perry

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Perry,

I believe that release management is underrated and usually given short shrift. That topic is probably enough for another entire book, or more than one.

"Release It!" deals with release management only indirectly, through my chapter on Adaptation---making systems that can be changed over time without creating chaos, downtime, or excessive operational expense.

In Adaptation, I discuss a number of topics related to smoothly deploying change to distributed systems: what can go wrong when versions collide, how to create architectures that allow incremental deployments rather than "big bang" type releases... you know, the ones where you shut down the world to roll out code.

Cheers,
-Mike

Beware the other head of science - it bites! Nibble on this message:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic