• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Manage It!: How important are people like Weinberg and DeMarco to you?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Johanna,

Welcome to JavaRanch .

I would like to know which school of thought has influenced you? What do people like Jerry Weinberg or Tom DeMarco mean to you?

If they mean anything to you, how do they affect you?

Regards,
Darya

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Darya,

I suspect you've read some of my writing; I'm highly influenced by Weinberg and DeMarco :-) I've studied with Weinberg for over 10 years now, and am teaching with him (Problem Solving Leadership) and we are two of the hosts of the AYE conference.

They way they affect me is to make me think. For example, I'd started tracking what I called the "bug recidivism rate" 20 or so years ago. Weinberg talks about the "Fault Feedback Ratio" in one of his QSM books. Same metric, why a different name? Because "bug recidivism rate" blames the people who create or find the problem. Do I want to do that? No. Consider what "Fault Feedback Ratio" means: feedback to the people working on the project. No blame. Which metric would you rather measure? Which project would you rather work on? One with a blaming project manager? (oh, ick.) Or one who recognizes we are human, want to do a good job, and something in the system is preventing us from doing a good job? I want to work with people who recognize we are human.

Thinking about what I say and how I say it (writing or speaking) is what's affected me most. The second part is seeing the system of the project or the work. Both Weinberg and DeMarco are great at describing the system and helping other people see it.

Johanna

Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Johanna Rothman:
Hi Darya,

I suspect you've read some of my writing; I'm highly influenced by Weinberg and DeMarco :-) I've studied with Weinberg for over 10 years now, and am teaching with him (Problem Solving Leadership) and we are two of the hosts of the AYE conference.

Great . So far I haven't read anything from you but that can change .

Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Johanna Rothman:
They way they affect me is to make me think. For example, I'd started tracking what I called the "bug recidivism rate" 20 or so years ago. Weinberg talks about the "Fault Feedback Ratio" in one of his QSM books. Same metric, why a different name? Because "bug recidivism rate" blames the people who create or find the problem. Do I want to do that? No. Consider what "Fault Feedback Ratio" means: feedback to the people working on the project. No blame. Which metric would you rather measure? Which project would you rather work on? One with a blaming project manager? (oh, ick.) Or one who recognizes we are human, want to do a good job, and something in the system is preventing us from doing a good job? I want to work with people who recognize we are human.

You are obviously influenced by Weinberg and DeMarco .

Something must be done about this. Let's start by reading this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic